Vin Plate

Guest janis

Hi..today i get my first kit car..its compleated robin hood s7 its been registered in '87 and buidt by two r.a.f pilots in england..i bought it without v5 cos ovner lost it and plates too..its been off road for 4yrs..its dodgy but i get it for 2600stg delivered from ireland to ni over 400miles and he give me all his details and i know where he living..he give me reg nr and its comes up as robin hood in google but i cant find vin plate on it..where it usully is?

I would go back to him and ask, as it could be anywhere, though most likely on right hand side (When looking from drivers seat) engine bay chassis rail.

If you cannot find VIN/there isn't one on the car, then you can't prove it is the car he is claiming it is and so wouldn't be able to apply for new V5 and would therefore have to go through IVA, which if it was built in 87, it won't pass. If it was genuinely built in 87 it would also make it one of the very first S7 ever made!

If its a stamped nr beside ongine on chassies then its there..i was thinking there will be some plate or something..

I done like a free hpi check thrue google of reg he give me and it come up as robin hood 2.0 '87

Must be one of the first ones then :D

My series 7 has the number engraved on the top rail of the chassis on the passenger side. Things were a lot more lenient then with Sva or iva, hopefully yours is ok. Mine was but it came with the v5 and loads of bills and the original build book. Does the stamped number show up on the hpi check?

87 might be the age of the donor.

My 97 registered car shows as 83 on the V5.

At that time there was no standardisation in registering kit cars.

I am correctly registered and the build was finished before SVA or IVA was implemented.

• Like 1

We are all proud owners of our kits ,whether we built it or not; we have hundreds of photos. So I would be very suspicious if this guy is unable to produce some (many) photos of the car. Some photos are bound to show the number plate.

This sounds like a typical scenario of pre SVA registration, the fitting of a VIN plate was not required at that time.

If you can find the vehicle on DVLA site and its registered as a Robin Hood the in my book all is fine.

You can just apply for the V5 as you are the new owner

Job done drive & enjoy

Doesn't a replacement V5 have to be for the same address and owner as the mislaid one? If so you would have to get the previous owner (if indeed he was the owner) to get one, then you can do the usual change of ownership bit.

PS. Mine's the same - built and registered in 96 with an 83 plate and no VIN as not required at the time.

Edited by geoff shep

If you apply for a new V5 with different details to the existing one then they will first write to the keeper they have on record. Assuming that person says yes they have sold it (or if they don't reply) then a new document will be issued to whoever has asked for one.

All Hoods will have a VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) it's just that the requirement for it to be stamped on a seperate plate and riveted to the chassis is fairly recent as these things go.

Sometimes the stamped plates are rough scruffy affairs so get removed in an effort to tidy it up and since from a requirement point of view some-do-some-don't it's often not picked up at MOT time.

Personally I'd make a plate and fasten it on. It's hardly difficult to find a nice lump of metal and stamp a number on it.

Iain