Hard To Start

Guest janis

Cant start my s7 when shes cold..it has weber 32/36

It can take up to 10min..shes spitting and everything...woud carb be out of tune or ignition out?or bouth?i know very little about carbs is there anything i can try to tune or check?

Man who i bought this from said it does not have a choke?is thats the reason maybe?where woud it go?

Guest 2b cruising

Having no choke is a no no. The bloke you bought it off probably meant no choke knob to pull.

You've probably got an electric choke the operates when a wee bit chilly.

If you look at the carb, you should find a wire going to the top area of your carb.

The choke unit could have stopped working as it should, so you will need to check the electrics on it.

Sorry I can't help you with this as been a good 30+ years since I played with them. Could probably fix if I was with the car but unfortunately my bones n memory ain't what it used to be.

If it doesnt have any type of choke, it always helps to pump the throttle

fully open 3 or 4 times before turning it over.

If you have a mechanical pump, they sometimes allow fuel to drain back to the tank.

A leccy pump is a simple fit once you confirm the manual one is kaput.

Does it get harder to start the longer you leave it? If its worse the next day rather than three or four hours that probably points to fuel draining back. As the others have said check the choke first to make sure it is operating. An electric fuel pump will make things easier in this case as well as saving wear and tear on starter and battery. Although I have twin 45s on mine I just turn the ignition on whilst I am putting my seatbelt on and I know that the fuel is in the carbs after about ten seconds and I am ready for action!

Guest Gargoil

Just a thought, the next time you try starting it, partially restrict the air going in to the carb. A second person cupping a hand over the carb (air filter off) would probably do. You are basically performing the action of the choke and if it starts easily, you know that you might need a choke fitting. I run the same carb as you, without choke and an electric pump helped but didn't cure it. Warm the engine up before driving it or it will bog down. Warmer weather and the pinto will start fine without the choke.

It has parts of choke missing..there is only a wee knob and spring left and a wee hand made plate bolted one..i put wisegrips on pull and hold choke and get my girlfriend to start it...started straight away..do anyone know where to get wee choke and cable which goes on there?