Earth Points

Guest ali2992

Guest ali2992

Is there a benefit for having multiple earth points? I have 2 for front/dash loom and 2 for rear loom, and I'm wondering if I need an extra one at the front as there's headlights still to be connected yet. Or am I ok using the existing earth connections?

You would ideally use one earth point to prevent earth loops, but on cars it's not so essential as the car is a pretty good EM shield and conductor at the same time.

It's just convenient to run one wire to a light and use the car as the earth return instead of two wires. So, choose whatever is easiest.

Simon

Edited by Simon B

Some of the more modern cars will have thinner wires specifically for sensors etc like the crank, camshaft ant temperature senders which do not need heavy duty wires.

So, you will find that size wire in cars now, just not for anything heavy duty like lights.

Simon.

Think that should be " A separate earth wire for the tank " ensures the tank remains earthed even if fuel sender (& its earth) is removed;; will prevent a static charge build-up which could be discharged between tank & earthed chassis.

I don't trust chassis earths (especially when it's a flat crimp onto a round tube as on the 2B). Whenever I've had electrical probs on a tin top it's always-always been traced down to a corroded or just generally rubbish chassis earth.

So with that in mind (and the fact we use them at work on the panel wiring), I'm using one of these at front of the car and one at the back. All the individual earths will be terminated on these and then a proper connection taken back with wire directly to the battery. The chassis will be still be earthed of course with a proper connection back to the battery - but I won't be relying on the chassis connections for lighting and sensitive ECU earths.

Cheers

Tony

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Neutral-Earth-Bar-JEW103A-100amp-Brass-Bar-/181666937270?#ht_300wt_1043

Guest ali2992

Think that should be " A separate earth wire for the tank " ensures the tank remains earthed even if fuel sender (& its earth) is removed;; will prevent a static charge build-up which could be discharged between tank & earthed chassis.

ahh, that's an important point as I was about to use the same earth connection as the sender

Being a mains sparkie ( retired ) I used several " Tenby Earth Clips " for a good solid connection to the round s/steel tubes; several earth conductors could be terminated in the large screw clamp.

And, being "old school" all joints were soldered or at least the strands of the wires were soldered before clamping.

Goole shows pictures of the clamps

Edited by florin metal works

• 6 years later...