Gearbox

Guest chrispine

Guest chrispine

Hi, I have removed my MT75 gearbox due to a grinding noise in fifth when I hit 105, going to strip it to see what it will cost to rebuild, could be expensive, not sure on my best option at the moment, £150-£200 for a second hand 'box off Ebay, let the buyer beware, or several T5 Cosworth 'boxes around but most without bellhousings so looking £800-£1000, if I go the T5 route what else will I need? Current flywheel/clutch is 16v RS2000, will I need a new prop? I've got a 4wd MT75 'box and am wondering if it could be used for spares, looks like 2wd 'box with extra transfer part for 4wd, does anyone know if this can be converted to 2wd?

Chris

Chris what engine have you got?

It will make a difference to the gearbox you can fit.

It sounds a bit odd that the noise is only at a particular speed in 5th.

If its a gear problem, it will usually be noisy all the time in that gear?

Edited by Bob Tucker

Guest chrispine

Bob, engine is 2.3 ltr 16v Galaxy/Scorpio, looking at T5 'box mainly due to ratios, at 6500 rpm mine does 32 in first and 60 in second, got the socket today to remove the rear flange from the gearbox, while it's out I will strip it as far as I can and check it over, thanks for all the advice. When I drained the oil nothing nasty came out, oil has only done a few hundred miles

Chris

• 1 month later...