Newbie Questions On Gbs Zero

nelmo

Guest 2b cruising

The later the engine, the more technical they get.

Nothing is impossible. Always advice available on here and other sites.

BMW cars are becoming more popular as time goes on because they still build rear wheel drive.

I read an article last night with somebody putting Vauxhall z20 into a BMW using a Lexus j6 speed gearbox. It is said they are virtually unbreakable. Good ratios and are still cheap at between £60 and £100 second hand.

I would imagine a bell housing converter plate would be expensive though.

• 3 weeks later...

Well gents, today was D-Day (decision day) and the deed has been done.

I had a pre-booked camping weekend with some bike mates but I cut it a little short to go to Stoneleigh today (not a hardship since the rain peed down in the Peak District and my geriatric tent finally gave up the ghost).

All omens were good since my new job was confirmed to me on Friday (start in a week) and the sun started shining at about the time I arrived at the show.

Saw the MNR first (just by chance) and seemed very nice, particularly at £10k all-in with a 1.6 MX5 engine.

Then the GKD Legend - BMW-based and a particularly good sized cabin. Only £11k with a donor.

Then my first shock - the Tiger Avon, which was my first choice, was just too small for me, even with the wider body! I was sure it had been ok on the factory visit but not now - maybe because the GKD had been so big?

On to the GBS Zero and the best of all - biggest cabin and decent space in footwell (GT body and lowered floor).

I really liked the price of the MNK and GKD but I just couldn't get over having a 10 year old, 100k mile engine in my pride and joy.

So, GBS it was and I paid my deposit, just on the starter kit for now.

I now have 8 weeks to get my garage sorted - wish me luck :help:

• Like 2

Guest 2b cruising

Welcome to the real madhouse now.

Scarred knuckles, oily hands, aching back, sore knees.

Well worth everything and more when you get to the end.

Guest davidm

Bet you're glad to have finally decided. Best of luck with the build - and remember - we're all here for you.

So then... what colour GRP?

Engine?

Ally or stainless panels?

Extras? (eg powder coating)

Bet you're glad to have finally decided. Best of luck with the build - and remember - we're all here for you.

So then... what colour GRP?

Engine?

Ally or stainless panels?

Extras? (eg powder coating)

Good point - initially gone for the Oxford Blue but my son wants it to be bright red (but he is 11).

Engine is standard 2l Zetec. I've only ordered the starter pack for now so not many options - powder coated everything, GT chassis and lowered floor ( which is FOC because i ordered at the show) and sport cycle wings.

Never considered going for s/steel panels - is that a good idea?

I would quite like to have all the panels painted but i don't want to spend £1500 on it - is that a DIY possibility?

Edited by nelmo

Guest 2b cruising

You could always get it wrapped.

Around £600 covers it apparently.

If you have stainless it could make some nice translucent colours, going through to the stainless mirror shine underneath.

Check on the costing first though. That was given to me by a Westie owner that is having his done in Norwich.

No idea of the skill required. If not too difficult maybe a DIY job?

Guest davidm

If you really enjoy polishing, then bare ally or stainless is for you! Stainless looks nicer (imo) but is harder to work with.

Ended up wrapping mine in mirror chrome & really would recommend either wrapping or painting.

Either is a straightforward enough DIY job & relatively inexpensive. Use a pro if you prefer & it should still be cheap enough as there’ll be no prepping to do.

Just make sure that:

You get GBS to pre-bend the rear panel & scuttle to shape for you

Whether wrap or paint, apply it before you put the panel on the car, and don’t take the protective film off until the very last moment

HTH

Just make sure that:

You get GBS to pre-bend the rear panel & scuttle to shape for you

Any particular reason for that? I'm expecting it to be difficult but quite looking forward to it...

See my build pics for helpful hints on forming the rear panel.

Don't rush in either as the rear panel also affects the alignment of the rear arches hence why some builds can't get them concentric with the

rear wheels. ;)

http://s575.photobucket.com/user/shaft_Zero/library/?sort=3&page=1&src=wap

Guest ali2992

You could paint it yourself, I'm in the process of doing it, only taken me about a month so far! Not really any point getting stainless if you're going to paint it

Guest davidm

+1 for what Shaft said. Can be a real pig to get exactly right, & mistakes are expensive.

GBS have a machine that can do the job in seconds, and get it 100% right.

Talk to them nicely & they'll probably do it for free!

You could paint it yourself, I'm in the process of doing it, only taken me about a month so far! Not really any point getting stainless if you're going to paint it

Nice! ^_^ How are you doing it?

Did a search and there seem to be numerous different ways of painting ally...

+1 for what Shaft said. Can be a real pig to get exactly right, & mistakes are expensive.

GBS have a machine that can do the job in seconds, and get it 100% right.

Talk to them nicely & they'll probably do it for free!

Darn, very sensible but i know I'd feel like I'm cheating...although i guess i won't be saying that as i sit there with a dented, buckled piece of metal in my hands :crazy:

By the way, started a blog:

http://zerokitcarbui...logspot.co.uk/

Anyone know how i get this in a sig on each post?

Edited by nelmo