Newbie Questions On Gbs Zero

nelmo

Guest alfaGTA

Its all money now!!

Compartmentalise the big mechanical bits....

Engine;

I assume crate zetec with most of the raceline goodies-are these cheaper via raceline? Inc if they supply the whole lot? or parts?

Inlet options cheaper elsewhere?

ECU cheaper elsewhere? Or a complete engine & ecu & inlet package from emerald? omex? raceline? dunnell etc etc or just pick and choose?

Water rail options? GBS, raceline? retro ford?

Alternator options?

Starter options?

Gearbox and diff;

Type 9 or mt75,

Refurb unit via various sellers with warranty or trust to an unknown unit?

Electrical items inc dash switches etc etc

Small savings on the big items can soon mount up-you have lots of calls to make!

Small sundry items can soon become a large proportion of the total overall cost-bulk buy your fittings.

I can tell that you want a top spec shiny new registration zero.to achieve that you will have to spend the £17000.I could tell you how to build a sub 10k zero that will give hours of fun take you round the highlands (twice) and pass an MOT emissions test easily. ... but you won't like it.

Who wouldn't ? :)

The problem is that i don't have the tools and knowledge to strip a diff, for example, and replace seals/bearings or whatever is in there.

I guess i knew that was going to be the answer - will just have to bend over and take it like a man :)

If any of you ever meet my wife, the car cost £12k, ok? ;)

Edited by nelmo

I got my diff from GBS as part of a package and took it to a local garage for them to check it over. They replaced the seals but everything else was OK. I think the bill was around £120 but it was about 4 years ago now so I can't remember.

A quick google search reveals cheaper reconditioned diffs, or by one second hand and have it reconditioned for £275.

I searched and only found GBS and Tiger - could you post an example you found?

However, had a thought, do GBS alter the diff to fit the chassis mounting points? So buying from elsewhere may be tricky, no?

Nice one - thanks for that ;)

Although those prices don't include VAT - the eventual price isn't much less than GBS, which is actually a good sign as I'll probably end up getting everything from them anyway (I'm very lazy that way).

Guest alfaGTA

Plenty of places to recondition a diff or gearbox, comes down to price, location and buyer effort.... Just ensure a rebuild doesn't solely involve a lick of paint!!!!

In addition don't discount changing the diff ratio whilst it's in bits 😜

By the way, I'm famous! I'm in the picture of the GBS stand at Stoneleigh, on the blog on the GBS website (large, greying bloke in the blue t-shirt).

I'll be signing autographs at a Waterstones near you soon... :)

Guest tom-zero

+1 for road and race transmissions Sevenoaks

+1for first motion I got my mt75 from them for 575 inc vat. Again arrived on a Pallet and looks brand new

+1 for road and race transmissions Sevenoaks

+1for first motion I got my mt75 from them for 575 inc vat. Again arrived on a Pallet and looks brand new

Thanks, I'll definitely use them considering GBS want £800 for the gearbox. Also much closer to me...

Guest davidm

£575?! This is supposed to be a budget build - isn't it?

Or is it now more a case of "sod the expense - just don't let the wife find out"?