Newbie Questions On Gbs Zero

nelmo

Guest ali2992

I'm painting using cellulose paint and a llvp gun. Really pleased with the results so far. Just not exactly a process to rush!

Also the scuttle and rear panel bending was not as bad as I thought it was going to be

Guest davidm

"Darn, very sensible but i know I'd feel like I'm cheating...although i guess i won't be saying that as i sit there with a dented, buckled piece of metal in my hands :crazy:"

You mean like I did!!

Guest 2b cruising

If you are putting it through with the windscreen as I did you must make sure it has the right markings. On the passenger side where it has the kite mark and BS standards, E numbers. There MUST be either a | or a || to indicate toughened or Laminated. if this line or lines are not there they will fail it.

If you do decide on a painted Finnish, it would be best to shy away from stainless panels.

Yes it is a good material for either wrapping or just polishing. ( which is easy to do with glass polish).

Also for lack of corrosion.

However, it is not as easy as other materials when it comes to getting paint to stick to it. ie Delorean were never factory painted.

There are etch primers and so forth but all adds to the cost.

Ally needs an etch primer also, but it does stick to ally better than stainless.

So you have more to consider than you first thought when it comes to picking materials.

I like your blog and it is interesting.

Whatever you do, don't underestimate yourself and keep your moral high.

Just keep thinking about the end product and the fact that help is always just a keyboard away.

Up an at em Mr Hammond.

PS we all know somebody that needs some of your extra height if you want to give some away!!!

Edited by 2b cruising

Guest Ian & Carole

Paint is very expensive, when we pained our car in 2003 on the bench in tins was £500.00 of paint and two weeks of prep and application.

"Darn, very sensible but i know I'd feel like I'm cheating...although i guess i won't be saying that as i sit there with a dented, buckled piece of metal in my hands :crazy:"

You mean like I did!!

No, not at all :-) - just a personal thing...

See my build pics for helpful hints on forming the rear panel.

Don't rush in either as the rear panel also affects the alignment of the rear arches hence why some builds can't get them concentric with the

rear wheels. ;)

http://s575.photobuc...&page=1&src=wap

That is a superb set of photos and instructions - I will be using that when it comes to it - many thanks :-)

Edited by nelmo

Guest davidm

No – you misunderstand – it was meant as a joke!

I was bending my scuttle when I slipped. I fell across it and put the final bend in diagonally, in the shape of my right arm. My wife came in at that point, and asked if it was supposed to look like that!

I was lucky to have my son in law paint my car so all in, with paint and beer tokens, it cost me about £400. The only thing I would say is that once painted, you may want to put some clear wrap on the front of the rear wings to try and protect them from stone chips. Mine are completely FUBAR after the Highlands trip (not that I would have missed that for the world!!).

I am looking to have them re-painted over the winter and then I will apply the clear wrap for some protection.

As for bending the scuttle and rear panel, as others have said, take your time and you will be fine.

Edited by David S

No – you misunderstand – it was meant as a joke!

I was bending my scuttle when I slipped. I fell across it and put the final bend in diagonally, in the shape of my right arm. My wife came in at that point, and asked if it was supposed to look like that!

Well, i did hope you were joking but always difficult to tell on a forum and i didn't want to upset anyone on day 2 of my build! :-)

That slip does sound like the sort of thing i would do...

Gents, a more general question (not sure if i should start a new thread but not an obvious place to post it)...

When i first investigated GBS, they sent me a spreadsheet of items for a full Ford kit, with a final cost of about £17k. At the time, Tiger were quoting £13k for their Ford kit, so i pretty much discounted the GBS.

Unfortunately, i had forgotten this when i went to Stoneleigh (because of the 2 month gap) and at the show, GBS were also quoting £13k for their kit. The guy showed me a blue GBS on the stand (pic in my blog) and said the owner had done it for about £14k. Annoyingly, i hadn't remembered about the spreadsheet they had sent me otherwise i would have queried the sudden difference.

I'm going to call them to discuss but what do others think? Is £14k build cost achievable considering i am not getting my own donor or doing any of my own refurb? Or have they been a tad sneaky (i did explain what i wanted)?

I know prices will go up if i decide to get better seats or nicer dials etc but they advertised a 'full kit' for £13k.

Yes, i was thinking of getting stuff from elsewhere. However, GBSs prices look pretty good - an unconditioned diff, for example, is £125 from them, which is cheaper than most of the options on eBay. However, thd reconditioned diff is £620, which seemed a bit expensive....

So, to get a new registration, i just need invoices to show the main parts (engine, diff etc) are new - i don't have to get them from GBS, correct?

Unless there's a big difference, i won't bother but again, they were a bit sneaky with the engine cost - all the prices on their leaflet included VAT but the engine was on the stand priced at £800 but that didn't include VAT - actually £1000!

I assume the £125 was for a Limited Slip Diff? I'd get a list of the parts you need and go to a local MX5 breakers and ask how much for the lot. You could very quickly end up buying a couple cars for the amount GBS are charging. Engine you can buy 2nd hand and running for £100-£200. Always people breaking MX5s....

Edit: Oh wait, you went for the ford kit didn't you? Boooo! lol

Edited by WallerZ

I can tell that you want a top spec shiny new registration zero.to achieve that you will have to spend the £17000.I could tell you how to build a sub 10k zero that will give hours of fun take you round the highlands (twice) and pass an MOT emissions test easily. ... but you won't like it.

• Like 1