C20Xe Redtop On R1 Carbs , Runs But Wont Rev Over 2K. Help!

Guest windscreen man

Guest windscreen man

HI FELLAS, AS YOU MAY KNOW I HAVE PUT AN C20XE IN MY 2B WITH R1 CARBS AND NODIZ IGNITION, WELL IT FINALY STARTED THE OTHER DAY :). HOWEVER THE ENGINE WONT REV ABOVE ABOUT 2K REVS (ISH) THEN POPS BANGS AND CUTS OUT, EVEN ON FULL THROTTLE IT ONLY JUST REVS JUST OVER TIC OVER??? HERE IS WHAT I HAVE DONE, I HAVE DRILLED THE MAIN JETS OUT, I HAVE SERVICED THE CARBS, SET THE MIXTURE SCREWS TO WHAT BOG BROS SAID, I AM USING FACET PUMP WITH FILTER KING PRESURE REGULATOR, TIMING FLASHES ON THE TIMING GUN WHEN IT SHOULD. IT IS ALMOST LIKE IT HITS A LIMITER AT 2K THEN POPS BANGS!! AND DIES, ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRICIATED THANX LEW :help:

first I would check diaphrams on carbs but does sound a bit like fuel starvation have you checked float levels also if you have a clear plastic fuel filter and it is near the carbs rev engine if air appears in filter then a repipe that's wot I had to do

does sound like a fuelling issue. if you are using the little facet pump have you fitted the fuel filter that comes with it? if so bin it and get a cheap plastic one from the motor factors for pennies. I had no end of issues using the filter that came with the pump. if you google it many others have had issues also.

When it's running look inside the carbs and see if the slides lift when you open the throttle use your fingers to lift the slides they should open or lift easy and smooth- it's a starting point. Let us know your findings

Try & eliminate the ignition as the cause.

If you have a strobe, fit it on lead no. 1

check the ignition timing at idle.

Then slowly pick up the revs & make sure the ignition

point advances gradually.

As a rough guide look for ABOUT 15 at idle, then up to 37 above 3500....assuming you get that high.

At 2000 you should still see it change to about 20 degrees.

Guest tiggertom

look for air leaks mine did same 1 year ago flexi pipe from carb to inlet manifold had moved with cold so when i reved it sucked air in under load as tube was pulled in to manifold but tube returned to normal on tick over only found it when i got some one to work throttle as if i did throttle by hand it stopped things moving.

Guest windscreen man

Massive thanx lads i finaly got it to rev, and rev it does . The prob was a wire to the ceank sensor i had plugged it in to the crank sensor plug and it was causing some confusion some where. I unplugged it and she revs and snarls :huh: :)