Drive Shaft Seals

Guest olivehood

Guest 2b cruising

Hello Richard. That is usually a sign of slight radial movement in the bearing. Might not even be enough to feel without stripping and cleaning all oil from everything. If it was wrong seals, it would be poring out. Just keep your eye on oil level untill you really need to take the diff out.

Changed the flange seal on my diff wasn't too hard from memory. I have an annoying leak though not from the seal but from the flange nut itself. Seems to run down the spines and through the nut. Tried to fix a few times and no success so far :(

Guest 2b cruising

Take your flange back off. Clean shaft and inside of flange hole with brake cleaner or thinners. Then coat shaft and hole with shaft lock (loctite) then refit and allow a little drying time.

The oil seeps along the shaft fitting and the leaks from between prop and diff flange.

You might need a little gentle heat to remove flange if you have to take it off again later in its life, but it will stop the leak.

thanks 2b cruising i'll give that a go. I did try some blue gasket sealer and it worked for a while. maybe time for something a bit stronger and a more of it :)

I remember not being able to remove the washer from the end of the flange, should that come out?

RichardL have a really good look at where the oil is coming from you might have the same as me. It loses oil down to the flange nut level and then mostly stops, as this is where mine leaks from.