This Weekends Tinkering

Guest alfaGTA

Guest tom-zero

I fitted a lightened flywheel and new clutch in my tin top. That had to take priority as need it for work. Loving the lightened flywheel tho just with I had the cash to get an LSD fitted to the box whilst it was out

Well my plans fell through....instead I ended up servicing my new Mazda Mx5 and having a paint of the cam cover for the boredom. Turned out ok but Halfrauds chrome spray paint is something to be avoided. Get a nice silver instead....thats what I'll be doing when I get the Zero parked up and use that cam cover as a spare to prep and swap over.

Guest peter2b2002

Just fitted the fuel pump, pressure regulator ,coil, just got to sort out the plumbing by the fuel tank in the morning then try to see if fuel gets to the carb if ok try the starter to see what goes bang

Peter2b

I need to fix a second headlight switch as the original one on the stalk stopped working. This will be a temporary fix. It should be a quick task too, splicing the new wires into the loom with scotch blocks.

Guest 2b cruising

SCOTCH BLOCKS. NEVER NEVER NEVER!!!!!!!!!

Rot the inside of your cabling. Oh yes they do.

Impossible to waterproof. Very very week joint.

At least a but joint with shrink wrap

I agree, "temporary" wiring tends to become permanent and scotch blocks should be BANNED as they eventually go high resistance which leads to difficult to fault find problems.

Spend a little more time to cut, splice and solder these with heat shrink afterwards and you will eventually be almost as quick as using scotch blocks.

(Tip - remember to put the heat shrink on BEFORE you solder the wires together again ... :) )

Simon.

• Like 1

Guest alfaGTA

Got a new oil pressure sender fitted and now have visible oil pressure! Some more miles to do to find the source of an oil drip..... Looking like either rear crank seal or rear sump seal....

Guest peter2b2002

Sorted out the fuel plumbing at the back , pump seems to work as there is a small leak by the carb when I turn the power on so far so good, next to see if I get a spark tomorrow

Peter2b

Guest peter2b2002

Tried it this morning engine spun nothing else no spark traced it to the new dizy I got from acuspark, duff capacitor shorting to earth even when points open, just sent them a message for replacement

Peter2b

Guest peter2b2002

Accuspark are sendind me a nother capacitor so hopefully i might get the engine going,also i think i may have found out why i get an air bag warning light comming on as sell

Peter2b

Thanks Simon B and 2b Cruising. I have not done the deed and I heed your warnings. I shall probably just rewire the headlights or some similar plan I come up with in the cold light of day. Scotch blocks are out.