Mechanical Pump Flow Direction

Hi guys, I have just changed my fuel system from a 2 pipe with a return and the ford 3 way reg valve, to a one pipe straight to the mechanical pump and from the pump to the carb, with this mod done the car runs so much better, smoother and more responsive, I am running a 2.1 pinto with 32/36 carb but before I alter the pipework permanently and remove my return fuel line, my question is does it make any difference on the fuel pump which way the inlet and outlet to the carb is, at the moment the feed from the tank enters the top connection of the pump thren pumps through the pump and the outlet at the bottom goes to the carb via a inline fuel filter, I cannot see any arrow on the pump to indicate inlet and outlet or flow , thanks for any help

Guest chris brown

The pump can only pump in one direction the only way to change it over would be to change the non return valves to get it to pump the other way that is even if it is possible

Guest Pedro

As previous post mine had arrows on, now changed to an electric pump , when I fitted a 32/36 the engine would hesitate then eventually cut out , would then restart and repeat the process after 1-2 mls. Seems that some engines using a 32/36 are ok with the standard mech pump and some like mine need more juice.

Guest peter2b2002

on my carb there are 2 fuel pipes on the carb with arrows pointing towards each other 1is blanked off , I'm going to use an electric pump with 2-4psi should I use the blanked outlet for a return to the tank?

peter2b

Guest 2b cruising

No reall. This could starve you of fuel. The second pipe on your carb is just a blind in case you want to pipe it that way and block the open one you have now, or for multi carb fitment.

What type of pump are you going to use, you might not need a return to tank. That carb was not primarily designed for one.

If your pump say you need one you can do it through a 3 port regulator.

My standard 10 year old mechanical sierra pump happily fed twin 40's on the old pinto giving 140bhp. Others have used the same pump for bigger power. A new mechanical pump would be fine and avoid the fiddle of electric ones, being a pressure regulator, electrical safety cutoff, a filter and the joys of the unreliability of facet pumps and clones in general.

Nigel