Pinto Vernier Cam Pulley And Belt Change

Guest janis

Guest janis

So i get my turbosport vernier pulley and gates belt...i find all marks and coud change the belt but how to change cam pulley?do i still have to take crank pulley off when i take cam pulley off?do i just put new pulley on with adjusting on 0 and it will sit like the old one?

A vernier pulley allows you to set up a modified cam to the specs from the cam builder/supplier.

You need a degree wheel that you mount on the flywheel or crank pulley.

Then accurately set TDC & turn the engine to the specified degrees & adjust the vernier cam so the appropriate valve

is fully open.

More info here....

http://www.burtonpower.com/tuning-guides/tuning-guide-pages/camshaft-fitting-timing.html

Guest janis

I just want to get it fitted and want it to start..it will be all set up on rr later on..i want to change belt and put the wheel on same as it all is now..

Set engine to TDC on No. 1 with old belt and cam pully

Marks should line up

88BD5F58-8F83-49E9-8C56-2C6F635AC7FF-3141-000002815A8D0580.jpg

Undo tensioner, remove belt, remove crank pully, note woodruf key position, loosen new vernier, push on to cam, fit belt, tension belt, lock vernier pully.

Cam timing should be as it was.

If vernier pully degree pointer is off scale you can reverse process and move the belt 1 tooth without affecting the timing.

Guest 2b cruising

Just the old point to make about turn the engine over slowly two complete turns of the crankshaft pulley by hand before trying to start it.

If it stops anywhere in the cycle, don't force it. Turn slowly back to where you were and recheck your timing.

If the engine locks during the cycle you have probably got a valve hitting a piston.

Guest 2b cruising

Yea ill get someone to give me a hand on this one..i turn engine on cam markings and tdc and all lines up but still afraid to do it :D

no need to be afraid. If instructions as the snapper (corrected cam to crank) are followed and the engine turn by hand are carried out, all will be fine.

You have to have a little adventure in your life. Keeps the old ticker going.

Guest janis

I decided to go for it anyway..start stripping and took nose off and radiator out to give myself a lot of space and good visibility..i will tipex everything even the belt and rollers and then transfer markings to new belt that way i will be more sure :D:D:D

Guest janis

I have a problem allready..i loosen slightly cam pulley..now loose tensioner take belt off but cant get off cos of crank pulley..it has like a wee edge and cant get the belt off..do i have to take crank pulley off as well then?i cant loosen it now cos belt olis off..options?

Guest 2b cruising

Yes. As Snappers instructions. The CRANK pulley has to come off first. Lock up the engine as best you can. It's been to long since I did one but I don't think they had locking pins so lowest gear to be selected and hand brake on hard. Even have somebody sat in the car and put their foot hard on the brake. If you undo the large bolt in the centre of the pulley, it will then slide off the shaft leaving the belt and its drive behind. Then you can remove the belt.

HTH Ken.

Guest janis

Sorted..i jamed crowbar In and get crank open..change belt...tur engine with socket..markings all seemed to be ok..nothing stopping..vernier on and all tighted up..just waiting tomorrow to put radiator on and get her started.. :)