Type 9 Speedo

Guest Seanus01

Guest Seanus01

Hi,

I have a type 9 gearbox which is leaking from the seal on the speedo output shaft. Additionally I think I may have a problem with the speedo gear as the speedo no longer works although the cable has been replaced. I'd rather not remove the gearbox so was thinking of fitting a core plug to stop the leak.

If I do this, I was wondering where can I get another speedo pickup from?

Currently using the hideous Sierra clocks but will be upgrading to a digital dash soon.

Thanks

Sean

If you're going to plug the hole where the speedo fits, you don't need anything more expensive than a 2p piece and circlip.

The 2p piece is EXACTLY the right size and you need an internal fit circlip to hold it in place with possibly some cardboard packing as a gasket.

If you're going to a different dash, then consider a magnetic type hall effect pick up which senses the bolt heads on the diff (Smiths gauges do this)

Simon.

• Like 1

I had a lot of bother trying to get the proximity detector to pick up from the diff bolts after wrecking 2 of them i used a hall effect sensor and 5(i think) magnets glued to the drive shaft works tickety boo

Derek

i its the same as the mt75 the drive pushes out the other side of the box.

Most of the issues with cable drive is that the cable is too long for the 2b so can have tight corners. It if gets dry or rusty it will sieze and snap the drive. Which is prob what happened. Obv the new cable didn't fix the issue.

My speedo was jumpy so i took the cable out - wire wooled it to take off any rough spots and greased the hell out of it. Back to being perfectly stable.

Guest 2b cruising

90* angle drive is VERY expensive --- over £100 I seem to recall.

how much are cables and what about fitting them?

Once this is done, it's the end of the matter.