Sump Repair Help Needed

Nicola Roberts

Any ideas on an alternative A4LD automatic transmission fluid?

The recommended Mercon is like gold dust to find and everywhere I read to be very careful what I use, especially considering the Torque converter already has x amount of red juice already in it.

That's assuming the red juice already inside is Mercon? :sorry:

Oh my...I might just get one of the suggestions on here: http://www.eurocarparts.com/transmission-oils (suck-it-and-see)....

Meantime save for a clutch, pedal box and manual type 9 or mt75 :( (in the event of the auto going pop in the next 12 months).

Guest Ian & Carole

Just been searching for you -:)

Scimitar owners club say "ATF TQ Dexron II"

I would happily stuff normal ATF Fluid in it.

Not as if you are doing starship miles towing.

Thanks for the info guys, just needed the confidence booster, considering the many different types, the "DO's and DONTS" and the rings that Ford make you run around.

example:

Speak to Ford and they insist you use Mercon or Mercon V,

then I ask, "what about Mercon LV?"

The guy goes quiet and then replies, "do not use Mercon LV or SP"

I ask what's the difference and nobody could give me a straight answer :nea:

So I thought I would ask the professionals on RHOCAR :crazy:

I was wondering if Ford and Motorcraft were in bed together and cashing in on the overpriced stock of oil.

So standard ATF it is...

I have always used dexron 2, including in my 1943 aircraft tug which has an auto transmission of sorts. It is ok to use in anything that specified dexron1 which basically takes you back to the stone age. Backwards compatible was the expression that stuck in my head!

David brown, weighs about 3 1/4 tons now I've removed the ballast. Four cylinder 40 horsepower petrol and has an 11,000lb winch with 300 ft of cable on the back. Bench seat for three people. All four wheels have full steel wings. Designed by David brown for hauling heavy bombers such as the Wellington and Lancaster with the auto transmission because the clutches on the fordsons slipped.

Guest chris brown

David brown, weighs about 3 1/4 tons now I've removed the ballast. Four cylinder 40 horsepower petrol and has an 11,000lb winch with 300 ft of cable on the back. Bench seat for three people. All four wheels have full steel wings. Designed by David brown for hauling heavy bombers such as the Wellington and Lancaster with the auto transmission because the clutches on the fordsons slipped.

Remember them well we had them with the winch and drop spades and a lighter version without the winch. Not really auto but fluids flywheel connected to manual box. They were the standard tug for years.

Similar yes, that's the later lighter version. They are quite fast considering that they are a tractor from the fifties. I think they do about thirty mph. I had a go on one across rougham airfield a few years ago trying to clear a misfire and it nearly shook all my fillings out when I had it opened right up. I think that had a conventional clutch and gearbox though. I would like one of those.

Christ is right about the transmission, David brown called it the turbo transmitter, a fluid flywheel with the gears selected rather crudely by braking the transmission with a hand lever. Works ok though and driving is a smooth experience which is want you want if you are retrieving a bogged down plane with delicate undercarriage. the winch works through the box too so take up on that is smooth too.

I've got a couple of tree stumps I need out so I might get it out and use the winch on them. According to the manual winch overload is indicated when the tractor is lifted up on the anchor four foot in the air, don't think I'm that brave!