Sump Repair Help Needed

Nicola Roberts

Finally got repaired sump back and just fitted it with a little treacle on the gasket. That well seal stinks.... Oooooeeer

Just filled up the geabox with oil and gonna leave overnight to see if we have any leaks. Typical the bloody MOT ran out today, so I've got to book the car in for mot and then rolling road to tune carbs.

So miffed cos weather has been cracking and wanted to take car out this week to the Leicester meet- up😢

Oh well hopefully I can get it up and running legally for the local meet. 😃

Thanks everybody for the support and history lesson. Amazing picture of the tug.

Edited by Dino

Ok car is due for mot Tuesday, only problem is that I just tried to take it round the block and it takes an age to get into gear.

When I did drive it, it keeps slipping. The manual say low oil. Check the stick and its spot on the middle notch as per before the incident.

So I thought I would see how much was drained from the pan and I have exactly 3.8 litres of old oil. I looked at the new bottle of oil and I have used 2 litres to get it the middle notch.

What I'm asking, is, should I go by the dip stick or the amount that came out (which means I'm 1.8 litres short)?

Edited by Dino

Just attempted to drive it, and it keeps slipping in and out of drive. Engine up to normal temperature with fan kicking in.

Gearbox cannot get up to temperature cos it won't stay in drive long enough to get around block.

I get it off the drive and it just sits in neutral for a good few minutes, the jolts into drive.

Dipstick has 3 notches.. Min, med, max

I read the service manual and u fill it to med, get box up to temp by driving and then check and it should be on max.

I cannot drive it far enough to get it to temperature.

Start engine, stick foot on brake and move shifter slowly from Park, through each of the transmission positions (pause in each position for 5 to 10 secs). This should purge the transmission and torque converter of air. Stick back in Park and check level with the engine idling.

Edited by richyb66
  • Like 1

Air locks all over the place I would guess. Do what richyb66 says. Haynes gives A4LD oil capacity as 8.5 litres! You measured a 3.8 drain loss and you have only replaced 2 litres. The manual says add half litre at a time and drive for 20 miles before checking, presumably to allow the system to bleed air. I think you should follow that procedure but perhaps 5 mile drive to bleed or you will be all day. You probably need to add 1.8 or a bit more in total in increments and drive and purge a fair bit before it all comes good.

Nigel

Edited by Longboarder
  • Like 1

Nigel. That does sound like common sense. Just couldn't accept removing 3.8 and it only wanted 2 to get back to normal.

We have gone thru the process rich suggested and it feels better.

But it seems I'm trapped between the devil and deep blue sea. No not till Tuesday and need to drive car to flush air in system.

Looks like axel stands, wooden blocks etc are gonna be needed to do a ferris bueller and the miles on whilst stationary. 😅

Cheers guys.... Time go and the car up in the air ken and slowly add 5 miles and oil in increments.

Guest Ian & Carole

Remember after full re-builds sitting in workshop for ages moving through all gears and back to park over and over again.

Usually though doing this does purge the system. Tis a long time since I did one though.