Stalk Question

Guest A.B

Hi,

Does anyone know the switch sequence between the pins? The stalk in question numbers are;

87BG 13B 302 AA - it's the model with only the indicators, flash full beam & permanent full beam.

I have indicators & flash full beam but no permanent full beam. Does that suggest the stalk itself is the issue or are there any fuses or relays that effect the permanent full beam and not the flash full beam?

Swapped the two relays in the fuse box out for new ones and the fuse looks fine.

Only other thing I can find is another 15amp relay under the dash which looks to be going to the stalk cables.

Fuse: 6zms0j.jpg

87BG so it should be negative switching. (But it might not be) It should also have two relays, negatively switched that look after main and dip. In addition ford in their wisdom included dimdip driving lamps to complicate the wiring to make four relays. Most people cut the dimdip out of the system when they put it in a hood to simplify.

Questions. Do the side lights work? Do the dip beams work? If you put a multimeter on the brown/black terminal in plug two what volts does it read? 12 ish or zero?

What wire colours do you have to the two plugs you show?

Nigel

Thanks for clearing that up a bit.

Plug 1 from left to right

Black with brown stripe

White

Yellow

White with black stripe

Plug 2 from left to right

Top line

Black

Black with green stripe

Red

Black with red stripe

Bottom line

Black with blue stripe - horn

Black with white stripe

Black with white strip

All indicators work, dip beam works & flash full beam ( pulling back on the stick ) work. It's just the permanent full beam ( push forward & locks in position) that's not working.

I'll get a multi meter on it tomorrow and let you know what I find.

Very odd. Those colours suggest you have a positive switched (83BG) loom. I would be very keen to know what you have in the White/black wire in plug 1 when the headlight switch on the right side switch is on, position 2. 12v suggests positive switching. Zero/earth suggests negative switching. Does your column have a round or square hazard button on top?

In addition early looms/switches didn't always use relays on the lights. The two relays in the box may not even be lighting relays. You could pull them out and see what stops working.

Nigel

Edited by Longboarder

The part of the hazard light you push has a circular top but a square insert where the bulb & hazard cover push into.

I purchased the car without either the full beam or flash full beam working and fiddled until the flash worked but still can't figure out why I can't get perminant full beam.

Is there a chance the stalk should be an 83BG and the previous owner has swapped them over by mistake? Or would more issues than just the full beam have arrose?

Got the feeling ill be stuck at work late today, hopefully I'll get back and have time to test it out

There are two basic different systems and several ways each can all be hooked up to work just fine. The advice for each variation will be different. But it's only possible to give sensible trouble shooting advice when you know the way yours is wired to operate. Yes, it's possible that hybrid bits are in the mix.

If you have side lights and dip that shows you can be 98% sure the right column stalk 'headlights on' switch is fine. Dip further 98% proves the black/white 54S to 56 link wire is also doing its job. Pretty sure the left column switch is also doing its thing because dip is just half of an either or switch so most of the system is working fine on both stalks. You are nearly there. Only a very limited number of things that could have failed. What happens after the left stalk and before the main beam bulb to that white wire is probably where the fault lies. At the moment I don't know if that is a power wire going direct to the main beams without a relay, a positive switching wire going to a main beam relay or an earth/negative switching wire coming from a main beam relay. The colour and size suggest it is an early loom intended to do the first of those options.

So on with the testing. With plug 1 still disconnected is the black/white in plug 1 live (ignition and right column headlight switch on) or negative? Check the continuity of the white wire and the yellow wire from plug 1 to the plug in the headlight housing. Try and identify what all the relays do. Check all the fuses.

Nigel

Sorry for the late reply. Just got back from work so I'll check it out tomorrow.

When you say right & left column stalk are you talking about the two plugs? As I only have one stalk the two plugs go into the left hand stalk. No right hand stalk on the column.

Really appreciate your advise.

Rats. A long post has just vanished into thin air. Here goes again.

No right hand stalk on the column.
Sounds like you have a unique set-up there! Column switches (sierra?) come in pairs.

You have:

Left 87bg switch (negative switching)

No right switch

Sierra wire colours suggesting early (positive switching) loom.

Presumably a three position lighting dash switch off/side/side & headlights.

Relays. 1, 2, or none?

Lucas style wiper/wash switch.

No idea why the builder did it that way but it would work if he wired a positive feed from headlight on position of the dash switch to the black/white wire in plug 1. An 83bg switch would happily serve that out to the white or yellow wires and on to main and dip. I will have to have a think about how you would do that with an 87bg switch. Give me a few minutes.

Nigel

Edited by Longboarder

I wasn't aware that the plugs were mechanically able to fit either generation of switches. I guess they do. The potential wiring variations are several. Lets hope the builder did it the easy way. If so then plug 1 carries all the wires needed for main, dip, flash main. Can you check continuities. The brown/black could be constant live or ignition live. The white should go to the main relay or direct to the main beam bulb. The yellow should go to a dip relay or direct to the dip beam bulb. The white/black should get 12v from your dash headlight switch when its switched on. Firstly see what you have. Also try to check if you have relays.

Nigel

Edited by Longboarder

Had a bit of a test.

With the side lights are off there is power from black with brown stripe from plug 1 and power from the red in plug two. Black with white & black with green also work when indicators are operated

When the side lights are on I'm getting 12v from the second black with white stripe & power to black with green stripe & the first black with white stripe in plug 2 when operating the indicators

When I flash the full beam I get power from black with brown stripe along with white when flashing & lights respond by flashing full beam. both cables are from plug two. I also get a tiny increase from the yellow from -20 to 0. Along with everything else working as it should except permanent full beam

When I lock the stalk into permanent full beam only the black with brown stipe has power nothing else in plug 2. everything else is as should be.

There are two relays which I have swapped for new ones

Any ideas?