Oil Leaking From Cap

lockyer89

Sometimes when driving the car hard, i notice a little oil spillage from the cap and sits around the rocker cover. It's a pretty modified pinto with a 270-280 degree cam, stage 4 head. I put a high pressure oil pump on as well. Anyone come across this before? I'm guessing it's down to the pump pumping hard at high revs. What sort of caps do people use? Catch tank may be the way to go...

Thanks!

If you remove the cap and look down the hole do you see the cam or a baffle plate. You should see a baffle plate. If so it isn't flung or high pressure oil. If no baffle then fit one.

Much more likely that this is excessive crankcase pressure, mostly due to crankcase ventilation being inadequate for the level of piston 'blow by' of combustion gasses when working hard. You have probably replumbed the crankcase vent and lost the inlet manifold negative pressure suction which clears this in fords system. Catch tank with restriction free piping from the crankcase and buying a cap with a vent pipe and running that to a tank will also help. Don't restrict the tank outlet with a silly tiny filter.

Nigel

• Like 1

It is just a bit of bent metal spot welded under the hole like an inverted top hat without sides. I thought that as the pinto was meant to breath out of the crankcase breather down the left side of the block but also with a reserve route through the cap then all pinto rocker covers had the baffle.

Nigel

Edited by Longboarder

Or it could be from the Oil filler neck itself minecwas leaking from there so had it soldered round the base of the filler neck job sorted but I have a splash plate in too so new it was something else

Guest busman770

Iam having same problem i hava catch tank alloy roker cover no splash guard in it alloy oil cap the filler neck is steel and pressed in so ihave sealed the inner and outer filler part and welded a plate in to the neck and i took the pun out the ooil cap put foam behind the gause and a 10 pence fitts perfect then put pin back in