General Advice For 1St Time Buyer

Guest Captain Corno

Guest Captain Corno

Hello all on RHOCar, this is my 1st post so please take it easy on me if i'm posting in the wrong place!!

Im looking to buy my 1st Hood soon with a budget of around £5K. Im a complete novice with kit cars but have basic mechanical knowledge and skills. I would love to ideally build one from scratch but don't have the time or space to do so, therefore I will need to buy a ready built one!

Any tips on what to avoid would be a great help, and a rough idea on what to expect for my budget.

Cheers all

Rick

a Sheffield lad called chris reaney has one for sale and its an absolute bargain

and some room left to tiner with and make your own car.

im sure he will be along soon as I cant remember his screen name

Hi Rick,

Well, you've done the right thing already by posting on here - welcome!

Take your time, view a few cars before jumping in! Stoneleigh is only a couple of weeks away so get yourself down to that show. There are always cars for sale. This is a good way to see what you like & compare value for money.

My Dad & I bought our car, we didn't build. We have made some tweaks to make it our own & that sense of building but without the pain on the IVA.

Within RH/GBS there are various models all with their advantages. More people will be along shortly with more advice I'm sure.

I hope you find what you're looking for, I can assure you it will be the best smile/£ ratio available!

I would get your self to the kit cas show at stoneleigh in a couple of weeks time, then you can come along to the club stand and have a good chat and nose round all the cars. You might even find one you fancy for sale

Guest 2b cruising

In my opinion, the single most important factor is making sure it is registered correctly by chassis number and make.

Both should be the same as in the v5.

After that come the mechanicals.

5 K should get you a really good example of a Robin Hood.

Hope this helps and welcome to the club.

Definitely recommend you visit the Stoneleigh show. Not only so you can see the wide variety of cars and the mods their owners have made but so you can also speak to lots of people and get their experiences first hand. That will give you a huge amount of information of what to look for both good and bad and could potentially save you thousands against an ebug "bargain of the century". That is not to say all kit cars on ebug are dodgy, because the majority are not.

The owners will be more than willing to talk to you, you may even find you have trouble shutting them up once stared :-)

Guest mower man

As above every thing mentioned is important if you go view some thing is it tidy clean ,is the paperwork all there and correct i.e is it registered as as aRobin Hood not a seirra sports etc build standards can vary greatly so be carefull and let the head rule the heart not the opposite mick

Guest Captain Corno

Thanks for the replies guys, Stoneleigh sounds like a great idea, unfortunately I'm away that weekend. I will keep an eye open for any other similar meets.

As for Rhood vs gbs, personally I'm veering more to the newer gbs types. ill weigh my options up and get to a meet in the near future, thanks for all the info regarding v5 etc, I'm not going to rush into this no matter how much I want one now, head is firmly ruling as I don't fancy a large bill for a bad purchase.

Rick

Guest bob13

If you are tall make sure you can fit into a kit comfortably.I am 6'2 and went the for a 2B because I could fit into it, but as you will find every car will be different in there own way...So I would try before you buy even if you are short.

You could do what I did and buy a car that needs restoring, I bought it as spares or repair cheaply. There was plenty of work in that for me but it allowed me to put my stamp on the car before it was put on the road. Aside from the actual engine block and the gearbox just about everything else was dismantled and cleaned or overhauled/replaced. There's still plenty to do especially with regards to the bodywork but at least it's usable now

Everything said by the guys previously is very sound advice. Its a great shame you can't make Stoneleigh as its by far the biggest and best kit car show. The number of Robin Hoods on show will be in the hundreds and every one is different.