Flexible Brake Line Fixings

Jon Bradbury

Hi

I am wondering about an SVA compliant means of fixing the rear brake flexi-lines at the chassis end.

I want to minimise the number of connections in the line and have come up with the idea of screwing the flexi hose straight into the t-piece at one side of the rear axle and fitting an elbow at the other with the flexi-hose screwed into that. The benefit of this arrangement is that the elbow and t-piece can be attached to the chassis easily using an M6 bolt. It would look like this:

[o/s rear caliper]
                                                                           :
                                                                          :
                                                                          :
                                                                           :
                                                                            -- [elbow] 
                                                                              |
                                                                              |
                                                                              |
                                                                              | [line across axle]
                                                                              |
                                                                              |
                                                                              |
[Master cylinder]--------<line to rear brakes>-------| [t-piece]
                                                                              :
                                                                             :
                                                                             :
                                                                              :
                                                                [n/s rear caliper]

The caliper end of the flexi-hoses are attached to the semi-trailing arms as per the Sierra.

What I need to know is if there is anything in the regulations that says I cannot have the flexi-hoses coming right out of the elbow and t-piece - do they have to be independently attached to the chassis at the join (which means another short piece of brake pipe between the t-piece and flexi-hose)?

I don't see why it should fail so long as the T piece is well secured and doesn't move at all when the flexi is bent.

One thing does spring to mind though - aren't you going to need very long flexi hoses if you do this? Ideally these should be as short as possible as they expand slightly when pressurised. If you've got about 3 feet of hose each side then you'll have a very spongy pedal.

Ant

No, mate.

The t-piece sits at one side of the car and the elbow at the other side.

Put in terms of connections:

- a copper brake line goes from the brake master cylinder (ie, the pedal box) to the passenger side at the rear

- at that point, it has a T-piece fitted

- one side of the t-piece goes into a short flexi-hose that connects to the passenger side rear caliper in the usual way

- the other side of the t-piece goes into another copper pipe which runs to the other side of the car (ie, from passenger to driver's side)

- this pipe goes into an elbow

- the driver's side rear flexi hose is connected to the elbow

- the elbow and t-piece are bolted to the chassis, which provides a rigid mount for the flexi-hoses at the chassis end.

Its just that I don't know if using a t-piece and elbow for two purposes (connection and securing of the flexi-hoses) is allowable under SVA rules.

Cheers

JonB

Guest JohnS

This is the same way as i did mine,

And the SVA man was happy with it,

the sierra tee even has a nice hole for an M5 bolt.

the copper pipes supplied with the kit should allow this and on the other side screw into the flexi, all you then have to do is fabricate a bracket to secure it.

Guest Feek

Jon, John,

Did your Sierras have the deceleration sensitive valve fitted between the master cylinder and the rear T-piece? If so, have you used it?

I've just done exactly what you've done at the rear of the car, and am planning the route forward for the pipe to the master cyl, so was interested in whether you'd used the valve, routing, etc.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Feek

Sorry for not noticing your post earlier.

My donor had the valve but I'm not using it for now. If the car seems to be locking up at the back I'll fit it, but the general consensus from reading this board (and the old one) seems to be that it's not needed. Mind you, I have the DOHC 2B that uses the rear discs...

Cheers

JonB

Guest neil gale

Feek

I havent fitted the brake deceleration valve from my 2.0i pinto donor. Passed the sva test fine last week, so i wouldne worry.

They have to do extra tests if you have it fitted, as i was asked before the test started. Stops fine - front locks up if you want it to, so doesnt seem to be a problem with just drums on the back.

(creates its own deceleration biasing cos drums are crap!!!)

Neil.

Guest Feek
(creates its own deceleration biasing cos drums are crap!!!)

:lol: Another design feature on the Hood then! :D

Thanks for the help and feedback guys!