Teves Front Calipers

brumster

I need to check something.

I've got the Teves-style front calipers from the Sierra. 240mm vented discs from a 1985 model so, to my understanding, this should be non-ABS (and from memory of the car, which I picked up a long time ago, this would seem right as it was a Mk.I Sierra 1.8 OHC and I certainly doubt it ever had ABS!).

So, I've fitted my reconditioned calipers as supplied by Euro Car Parts - 54mm piston - using the correct Teves style pads (151mm x 46mm measurements). Now this is my concern...

Even with new sliders/etc, there is a lot of play in the floating caliper sliding mechanism. At the moment, the retaining springs are not fitted (as they were missing from the kit, so I've ordered some more) but the play is not in the pads - it's in the caliper/on the carriers. Is this to be expected without the retaining clips? Do they take THAT much play out?!

The reason I'm curious is that I'm 99% sure the retaining clips that came OUT of the car previously were the sprung metal type, not the flat metal brackets. These sprung metal type are generally identified as later-type calipers.... which I believe are the 60mm (ABS) piston calipers, which these definitely are not. This has therefore got me thinking that for some unknown reason my donor Sierra had larger 60mm calipers on it, and that when I re'cond the calipers I was incorrect supplied the 54mm ones...

OR

...someone previously (possibly me) accidentally fitted the retaining clips from the later style calipers, to the 54mm piston calipers. Is this even doable?

Are the carriers identical between both?

Am I worrying over nothing? Should I just wait for my retaining clips to turn up and once fitted they'll take all that wobble out of the calipers?

edit: Old-style :-

index.9.gif

New-style :-

mVN314n3_9QpOGysPLsBp5Q.jpg

Edited by brumster

Guest tiggertom

I have those calipers with wire type clip, mine have a fair bit of play in them which seems better with a pump of brakes and pads in close contact with discs.