Kwik Fit

Guest chrispine

Guest chrispine

Bit of advice wanted please, Kwik Fit serviced a car on Saturday and changed a rear wheel bearing despite being told not to, they said the old bearing had collapsed and they had to change it to get the car off the ramp, I asked for the old bearing and there is nothing wrong with it, no pitted rollers and it certainly hasn't collapsed as they claim, for this they charged £95 for a bearing that costs less than a tenner, less than that with trade discount, do I go back and speak to the manager or go straight to Trading Standards? Bit of advice if you're thinking of going to Kwik Fit, Google Kwik Fit reviews first.

Chris

Guest garyfelton

I don't think they can do the work and charge you unless they have a contract with you either verbally or written, which you have said you haven't so I would go back and speak to the manager first. Explain that they have changed the wheel bearing without your permission which you believe is without a contract and ask for your money back. If they refuse then contact Trading Standards.

I worked in a garage and we did an MOT which failed on a bulb, to save the customer time and having to return we changed the bulb without his permission as he was not contactable, when he returned he refused to pay on the grounds we did not have a contract to carry out the repairs, we had to let him go without paying for the bulb and could not put the old one in as we would then be making the car unroadworthy, It was a brake light bulb. We never did any work without agreement after that incident.

that is Kwick Fit business model, as with a lot of garages, they are paid on what they sell, the cheap up front prices for service etc are to bring you in in the first place.

If they haven't permission, to do work, they have no business doing it.

I would do as gazzaf says.

One of the reasons I am no longer in the main stream motor trade.

Guest Howtightpet

gazzaf is correct but they do have a habit of finding extra things wrong and also some things that don't need changing they say they needed to.

I would never use them as they have very little product knowledge.

Manager first if no joy area manager then trading standards

Hope you get it sorted for a positive outcome in your favour.

Guest mower man

This is not some thing new ,it was happening 30 years ago with various companies all over the country , the one local to me was named after a famous cartoon character a freind of peanuts fitters were told to find imagiary work to put branch figures up and secure their jobs ,I knew a couple of guys who worked for the above company for a while atracted by big wage offers which were actually based on imagined bonus levels , it is up to us/you the customer to stop using their doubt full services and find a good indy company usualy a 1 or 2 man operation who work for reasonable rates and more importantly know what they are doing , an 18 year old with NVQ is not a mechanic he hasn't scratched the surface yet ! I was in the trade for a long time out of the my working life and am still learning at 68 I have built race rally and fast road cars inthe past and still fiddle a little and have forgotten more than some will ever learn , yes its a rat race out there so you have to be as hard as they are and not be fobbed off by so called service reps who have difficulty writing never mind advising on highly technical thing like a modern vehicle SORRY END OF RANT ! mick :aggressive:

Edited by mower man

Kwik fit make a lot up saying. You need things when they are OK for a few more years speak to the manager and if you get no joy tell him trading standards are going to be informed you should see a change him or her straight away.its usually women they tell things need changing as some don't no betterwhen it comes to cars

Guest 2b cruising

Strait to head office by email for my choice.

Yes manager will get what for or even sacked.

That will make them think twice in future.

If you just go to manager or even area manager, they will just hide it. Thus nothing but maybe money back.

Make sure head office is aware you use this and other car forums and how easy it is to slate them nationally.

Guest Ian & Carole

I think you might find that it is policy and they will support the branch

I would got straight to trading standards.

Guest chrispine

Thank you so much for all the replies, biksz, yes it was a young (24 year old) woman (my sons' girlfriend) who took the car in on her own, the list of work they came up with is unreal, never mind the cost, you should of seen the mechanics' face when I walked in and asked to see the collapsed bearing, never mind his face when I asked for the parts, which I have got. I realise this is common practice with Kwik Fit but I'm livid that they can blatently rip off a young couple who are deep in debt through student loans and struggling to make ends meet.

On a happier note, I hope everyone enjoyed Stoneleigh and hopefully I will see you all at Castle Combe.

Chris

Write a letter to garage manager (deliver by hand or recorded delivery. In the letter, tell him you will take it to the small claims court (stating why - bearing is good and work was not authorised).

If they don't reply or you get nowhere, issue court proceedings (I think it's quite easy these days - and you should get your costs back too).

If it goes as far as court you take the wheel bearing with you - judge should rule in your favour.

Ignore trading standards.

-steve

Guest chrispine

'Phoned Kwik Fit and the guy who did the work pretended to be the manager, didn't get anywhere, he says the work was authorized, I was with Jenny when they 'phoned to tell her about the bearing and it was not authorized, he only gave me one bearing and now says the other one came out as dust and balls, (it's actually a tapered roller bearing), sent an Email to head office then got 'phoned back by the real manager, who remembers Jenny coming in recently for 2 tyres and 2 track rod ends, she wouldn't know what a track rod end is, wonder how she knew she needed them? Conning Bas****s, 'phoned Trading Standards who were very helpful but I would have to pay for 2 independent garage reports and £100 up front for small claims court and, if I lose, also Kwik Fits costs. Amazed how she was driving the car with one wheel bearing collapsed so badly it was dust and she didn't know it. Cannot take it further and risk losing, the manager tried to talk me into taking my car in for a free aircon recharge and Jenny's car for free wheel alignment after I've fitted the new suspension springs they say it needs, can't see anything wrong with them myself, done most of the work they picked up and she will never be going there again.

Thanks for all the advice

Chris

Well this is where the modern connected world is fun. go here https://www.facebook.com/KwikFit?fref=ts and post a picture of the bearing to their 'wall' and ask if it looks like it should have been removed as 'some local garage' tried to con you. Hopefully they will agree it does not and you can call them out :)

nobody likes negative things on their facebook pages.

Bet they have twitter too....

• Like 2

Guest chrispine

Thanks Agent_zed, not any positive comments on there, pretty much like Google Kwik Fit reviews, I have the outer of the bearing which is a sleeve with both outer races in, also one bearing and inner race, after the weekend they claimed that the other bearing had collapsed and come out as dust, I have worked as a maintenance engineer for many years and never seen a bearing in the state they claim with no marks/damage to the outer race.

Chris

yeah i can't believe they didn't just agree to refund you. If the bearing was seized so much they couldn't get it off the ramp then how the hell did they get it on the ramp! It would have had the wheels wobbling around all over the place if they were that worn and you wouldn't have heard the engine over the noise if you drove it like that. Can't believe they would stick to that story.

oh yeah if you can be bothered to spent £10 or so get a nice poster printed up and stick it up outside just up the road :diablo:

'Kwik fit you owe me £95 for replacing parts that weren't broken!' should be quite funny with the picture of the bearing.