Zero Windscreen & Iva

brumster

Oh gawd, another windscreen topic I hear you cry. Well, this was prompted by a discussion at Stoneleigh today :) and I'm wondering if anyone can convince me why I should not put my car through IVA with the windscreen in place :). Here are the facts...

• Yes, I'm going to fit demister vents that draw air from outside the passenger compartment and warm it before piping it to the base of the windscreen
  • Yes, I'm going to fit wipers (mini mechanism, should it matter)
  • Yes, I'm going to fit squibbers
  • Yes, the glass is E-marked to IVA standard (E-17 43R tempered, also DOT726 AS2 marked fwiw)
  • Yes, the top frame is rounded-edged

So does anyone know any good reason why I should put the car through without the screen in place and retro-fit all this afterwards? What concerns me are reports that the factory do it that way - which doesn't speak volumes for faith in the process! So what would it potentially fail on? Am I missing something - are people purely doing the post-fitment because they don't want to bother with one or more of the above aspects (presumably the demister vents which I appreciate will probably do next to bugger all in a Lotus 7 replica, but hey ho....!)?

Edited by brumster
  • Like 1

Guest 2b cruising

They do that just for the less points to get through the test.

Nothing wrong with doing it either way.

It is your car and your build.

That makes it your choice.

It's not the top frame that's the problem, but the windscreen pillars made from 2 or 3 mm flat steel. It's these edges that would not pass the edge test.

If you can find some way to make these rounded too, then it should pass. The normal door hinges are also too sharp edged with the standard fittings.

Simon.

• Like 1

It's not the top frame that's the problem, but the windscreen pillars made from 2 or 3 mm flat steel. It's these edges that would not pass the edge test.

Ahaaa, ok, didn't think of that. Ok, that's easily sorted one way or another - I can work some rounded edge onto those, be it some edge trim or failing that some 3D-printed cover. Good point!

The normal door hinges are also too sharp edged with the standard fittings.

Understood. There won't be any door hinges or roof so that won't be a problem.

Right, that's it then, based on all of the above, I'll get cracking on fitting the screen! Ta muchly!

Guest ali2992

they do fit washers and wiper mechanism, just not the screen.

How do they get away with that? I thought if there was evidence that you were planning on fitting a screen, or had only taken it off for the test, then they fail you or something?

If you are putting it through with the windscreen as I did you must make sure it has the right markings. On the passenger side where it has the kite mark and BS standards, E numbers. There MUST be either a | or a || to indicate toughened or Laminated. if this line or lines are not there they will fail it.

post-2594-0-40605000-1430822887_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

If you are putting it through with the windscreen as I did you must make sure it has the right markings. On the passenger side where it has the kite mark and BS standards, E numbers. There MUST be either a | or a || to indicate toughened or Laminated. if this line or lines are not there they will fail it.

Aha, ok, now this is NOT marked on my windscreen at all. There are none of the additional "relevant markings" as per IVA manual that relate to I, II, III or IV - only 5 dashes (hence not roman numerals and, either way, 5 is in the "not allowed" markings category).

So I think I have an illegal windscreen. Time to get a legal one made I guess.

How do they get away with that? I thought if there was evidence that you were planning on fitting a screen, or had only taken it off for the test, then they fail you or something?

As far as I remember, there is now a "glass missing" section which means if items like the wiper motor is present, but no screen, they should technically fail you on that now. It was added after my IVA and I only had the washer bottle fitted at that time too. This might also cause a fail on "glass missing" category.

Simon.