I Think I've Found The Problem

The overheating problem that stopped my first run out of the season dead.

Couldn't see the issue at the side of the road.

Couldn't find it in a the garage but did find a broken thermostat locating spring.

Next step was to look at the cooling system and decided to upgrade from the standard suck blow expansion tank to full header tank, some new silicon and Mikalor clamps.

Well I thought it's not going anywhere for a while so I'll fit the rebuilt 2.1.

Sooo I started taking the ancillaries off the old engine, quad carbs and manifold, exhaust manifold and my heat shields, high torque starter, rad hoses then last the alternator because it's a pig to get at, first the tensioner bolt in the water pump housing was missing.

I remember some gauge anomalies and of course the overheating issue, could this be it? Perhaps but when I finally got the alternator off a piece of the alloy RS2000 bracket came with the retaining bolt.

Conclusion, the bracket had broken whether this was the cause of the tensioner bolt going loose or the other way round I'm unsure but it would explain the overheating under load and the electrical issues.

Anyone got an alloy alternator bracket?