Engines 101

nelmo

free maps are included with Emerald from GBS, not other ECU's or Emerald from eleswhere admitadly.

they are not loaded as standard, but can be emailed and simply loaded in.

RR session is therefore NOT required, although throttle to map needs calibrating.

Edited by knights_templar

Guest davidm

I’m always wary of bhp comparison figures.

If the comparison is between a standard engine as fitted to a production car, and one set up very precisely in special cars like ours, then yes – there will be quite a difference.

But a production car uses horrid manifolds and a restrictive cat, all of which conspire to strangle the engine to death. The manifolds and cats such as we use overcome this, and produce quite a jump in bhp, long before the ecu enters the equation.

Having said that, the aftermarket ecu will always outperform the standard miserably mapped one.

It’s just a question of whether the extra expense can be justified for a car that’s only going to see road use.

But there’s no right or wrong here – it’s all down to individual circumstances and preferences – our own judgement call.

I had the Emerald and GBS's "Generic" map. Still had to get it rolling roaded as every engine and installation is different. Mine cost £200 to get done by a local guy recommended by Emerald themselves.

would agree, you dont have the zero exhaust, so mapping would be required on your setup.

Guest 2b cruising

Ask Steve from S/port. It proved mega expensive having someone tell him he could create maps.

After a costly rebuild due to over fuelling he trusted nobody but the trained pro.

Guest iank

If its any help I've attached a couple of pics I took when I unpacked my Zetec crate engine. As already mentioned you get an engine. You don't get all the things you need to make it go, as has already been detailed.

post-8958-0-05869400-1431950698_thumb.jpg

post-8958-0-93229100-1431950722_thumb.jpg