Engine Ecus

nelmo

Starting my first build soon with a Zetec engine. GBS only seem to offer an Emerald ECU for £700 :o.

The Megajolt seems much cheaper - is it any good?

Is there any other make i should consider?

Thanks.

They all offer similar features really; if you're not after anything too fancy like launch/traction control, flat shift, driving an LCD dash, etc.

Choose based on

• Features
  • Cost
  • What your chosen engine tuner supports/likes/is happy to work with

Be careful with any ECU's that require any additional hardware "dongles" in order to program, unless you're happy that you're going to have to take them to an authorised dealer/mapper with the necessary kit to program them. If you're not planning on tinkering with it yourself (which is ill advised if you don't know what you're doing) then find a rolling road tuner you're happy with and go with their recommendation, assuming you're happy with the prices they quote. Check with them - I've heard some won't touch Megasquirt, for example (whether there's any truth in that, I don't know)...

edit: ninja'd

Edited by brumster

Megajolt V2 or V3 still a good option

V4 has cool drivers so no EDIS needed

Yes NODIS is good but evolved from Megajolt and is not that cheap,

A V2 Megajolt is a cheap way to mappable 3d

Don't discount it just yet

Guest ali2992

There are megasquirt tuners out there, but I would advise that megasquirt is the route only if you are genuinely interested in tuning and playing around with the maps. You're ford engine aren't you? As others have said, a generic base map is all well and good but ideally you need to tweak it specifically for the car, whether you do that yourself or rolling road/live map is up to you

Megajolt V2 or V3 still a good option

V4 has cool drivers so no EDIS needed

Yes NODIS is good but evolved from Megajolt and is not that cheap,

A V2 Megajolt is a cheap way to mappable 3d

Don't discount it just yet

sure mines a v4 and uses edis still?? Nothing cool in the instructions

I currently have Webcon Alpa on my Zero with matching throttle bodies no complaints but running Motec on race car. Motec that good I'm considering changing over to this on the Zero.Endless tweaks available on Motec maps and information downloading easily done over mobile network remotely adjustable. Have at the Motec before you buy others you will be surprised.

• Like 1

MOTEC is what Ray has decided on for the Vette.

Megabucks for the ECU & then you start adding on sensors,

& for a V8 thats 8 of most things.

Total cost for Rays is over £4k....

But there is loads of support for it, it can be remotely diagnosed,

& all but one driver in our class is running it.

While we are not competitive, they are all prepared to give trustworty advice.

• Like 1

Guest chrispine

A flying loom for the Emerald is about £80, all colour coded and I found it simple enough, if I wired another I'd do it myself, but for the first time to have all the wires colour coded was a great help, depends on your electrical competence/ability to read the instructions really.

Chris

Guest mcramsay

The emersld is 700 yes but with the flying loom from them it's a doddle, I wouldn't be paying gbs nearly 400 for a loom you can make your self in less than a day! The emerald is user friendly, easily mappable and there is loads and loads of info on this board on how to get it running. By far the easiest option in my opinion