Engine Ecus

nelmo

The emersld is 700 yes but with the flying loom from them it's a doddle, I wouldn't be paying gbs nearly 400 for a loom you can make your self in less than a day! The emerald is user friendly, easily mappable and there is loads and loads of info on this board on how to get it running. By far the easiest option in my opinion

I looked on the Emerald website - does flying loom just mean a load of wires not yet taped up and just needing connectors added on the ends?

If so, what sort of connections - are they soldered, crimped? Is it something a novice like me could do or is it inadvisable?

Guest chrispine

Flying loom is the connector for the Emerald with a lot of wires already in, mine came with a lot of wires to fit myself depending how much you're running from it, revcounter, fans etc, all wires colour coded to the instructions, the sensor and output ends depend on sensor connectors and the wires are very long so you cut them to length, read the instructions carefully and set aside a few hours to work on it and I found it easy once I got started, before I bought mine I downloaded and printed the manuals from the Emerald website, all my connectors are soldered, the Emerald comes with plenty of connectors for the ECU end, only earth the crank sensor shielding at the ECU end, not to the engine as well.

Chris

Guest 2b cruising

Thanks for that Chris.

At £80 well worth a go.

I have never liked electrickary. I've always looked at it as if it is from the dark side.

Now I'll just be scared stiff about frying 700 quids worth of the dark side stuff.

Guest chrispine

If you're at Castle Coombe in a couple of weeks you can have a look at how I did mine, I was worried about frying the ECU as well but people who've used Emerald all said it's straightforward enough to get it right.

Chris

Guest 2b cruising

Thanks for the offer. Sadly already booked away in SW Wales. Travel there Thu, return Sun.

Too far West for quick trip. Wrong days to call in on way past. Won't return till after F1. Her indoors would strangle me. Probably use my man veg to do it with. OUCH.

Guest 2b cruising

I would buy at that price but it's no good for what I need.

I'm fitting Vauxhall Z20 let at the end of the good weather.

Thanks anyway.