Chassis Manufacture Year

dendeel

Hey Group..does anyone know how to tell approximately what year a chassis was manufactured? I assume changes were made along the way and I'd like to know if there is a way to tell..it would help with the registration process here in Canada

Thanks

Dennis

This may help identify your car.

http://nw.rhocar.org...ntification.htm

Once you know, post a request for manufactured years of that model.

Someone on here will probably have the same model & know when it was produced.

(Just scrolled to the bottom of the page.....it has dates of manufacture for all models..

My 2B had sliding pillar suspension. That ran from about 1999 to about 2003 (I believe)

Then they produced almost the same chassis but with two U shaped channels across the front

of the chassis & fitted proper wishbones.

Edited by Bob Tucker

OK thanks...I know it's a 2B but I'll take some photos and post them..i did get upper and lower A arms for the front suspension..

Guest 2b cruising

It might be worth emailing Richard at GBS Nottingham with some pictures.

Richard used to build them at Robin Hood Engineering.

He is a very friendly and helpful chap and is sure to help you out if he can.

Just in case you were not aware, GBS took over from Robin Hood and still carry some spares.

Hope this is of use to you. Ken.

One email address I have for them is.

wayne.mathurin@greatbritishsportscars.co.uk

I know it is not Richard but if you mark it as foa Richard I'm sure it will be passed over.

Edited by 2b cruising

• 4 months later...

interesting... is that a left hand drive version of the chassis? or are the photos just flipped? didn't know they did a lefty but as it was an export by your location i guess they did.

Not sure what you have planned but a few things i'd do...

If i did mine again i would weld a piece between the rear subframe mounting plates. It needs a pickup for the handbrake there anyway so if you have a piece of angle welded between it'll be better than fitting later.

On mine where you have bolted the L shaped brackets for the rear of the lower front suspension arm i welded them on before i got my chassis powder coated. One less bolt to worry about checking.

I would probably welded some tubes across the floor/bottom of tunnel for support rather than how i have done it with the tunnel sides creating the strength.

I don't carry a spare wheel so i'd probably chop the wheel carrier off but that depends on what you want.

I wish i'd added a threaded hole front and back for tow hoops. Thankfully never been towed (yet) but would have to go off the sus arms now as no other place to be pulled.

You won't have this problem now as it's not been used but i have seen on the forum that the engine mounting plates on the stainless chassis have cracked at the welds so you might want to double check the quality of the weld whilst it's all open and visible.

good luck

Thanks to all for the replies/tips..we will probably read through the forums on 2B stuff and print off the tips and ideas and use them when we start our build..we are using a Toyota 4AGE twin cam engine with side draught carbs, we have one we've breathed on a bit and its putting out about 150 hp which should be more than enough. We are planning to start on it after Christmas(the boys need something to do on those long, cold winter nights!) but we need to swap out the tranny on the Europa track car and i want to do a bit of re-design on the push rod suspension we put in it too..

Cheers

Dennis