Exmo Body Re-Build

Guest weazel134

In my Exmo, I had them coming down into the boot floor to an eye, with a large spreader plate on the back. I appreciate yours is closed off so that's not possible, so I'd go back to the previous setup the original (?) builder did, and run them to the back panel - share the bolt with the rear stays is possible, or else tie it in nicely with a decent 3mm section of angle underneath the rear lip...? And get some proper-length harnesses, of course :)

Edited by brumster

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you were to overturn, you would not benefit from what your roll bar is designed for.

Just as a minor point, I would suggest no-one with an Exmo ever expects the "roll over hoop" to be anything other than a cosmetic addition. I have no idea on the grade of tubing used, but in general they were just exhaust-clamped through the side panels without any tying in to the chassis, and would most likely punch a hole straight through the stainless floor in an overturn. So, in reality, if you're going upside down, you're in some serious *bleep* with or without one ;-)

Guest mower man

The only way is first to source correct 7 type harnesses no salloon /rally type as they are always way to long ,I had this prob back in 2003 and the only cure was Willans clubmans harnesses mick

I carried.out a modification to.my toll bar to run.the harnesses over this looks like it needs the same. I am.also adding to this further by adding a guide for.the harnesses to.pass through. Have a look at my build thread.

Guest weazel134

sounds like best plan is buy some proper length harnesses. just add a point though (i know its a safety item and cost shoudn't come into it). this whole car was transformed for less than £400 and done in under 4 weeks.

the original plan was as the car was cheap was to buy do up and sell on, unfortunatly after driving it the big kid inside me raced to the surface and now wants to keep it.

just out of interest, if i were to sell it what sort of money would i be looking at?

Being an Exmo (and I'm talking from experience here) I wouldn't expect a lot, even if it's had money thrown at it. I won't feed you the old addage "it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it".... ;)

It's pointless pinning me down to a number because it would just be my perceptions... put it like this, I had receipts for just over £10k in mine, and the insurance valued it at £2,500.

Edited by brumster

i would personally say i wouldnt take less than £3000 to £3500 if i was you its worth the same as an s7 etc i would say the 2b would be worth slightly more than the exmo (i have an exmo) but then its down to preference as the tunnel etc is alot narrower with the bar there on a 2b than exmo s7 and so certain engines etc harder to install so i am told

Guest janis

There is s7 on e-bay for 5k...put price u need to get for it and see maybe someone buys it..if not u have great car and lots of fun yourself..

Guest weazel134

Build update: cycle wings fitted but need some strengthening, re-routed harnesses and a service. Had a run out yesterday, nearly went to plan as nearly lost a wing. Will update with photos in the morning.

Guest 2b cruising

Mower Man is right.

The vibration felt through the stays is phenomenal.

These stays just won't last for many miles at all. Probably collapse on your first journey, or on your way to IVA test. Which would of course be inconvenient as well as embarrassing.

Also the single bolt fitting through the centre line will not stand up to the punishment these things go through either.

My stays are of 20 mm tubing, flattened out at the ends and shaped to follow the contour of the inner wing. They are bolted through the wings just in from both wing edges. I have used some windscreen sealant (not mastic or gasket) between the stays and the wings to reduce the amount of vibration into the fibreglass,

If you also do this, take care not to overtighten the stainless dome head bolts holding the wing bodies. Fit the wings while the sealant is still wet to gain the correct shape. This will fill out any bumps and humps in the shape, and leave a good gasket of a few mm between the stay and wing body.

Hope this is of some use for you, Ken.

Edited by 2b cruising