Exmo Body Re-Build

Guest weazel134

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest weazel134

yea im not really sure about the boot though, it was like it when i got the car. it quite handy as it can be locked.

Guest weazel134

Don't think I'll be taking it off, there would be a massive hole there and everyone would be able to steal my shopping.

Hi weazel,

Your exmo looks really nice.

It's difficult to tell from the photos, however I've learnt 2 key points about the exmo front butress;

1) It needs strengthening fron the underside where the damper piston rod connects. This prevents the butress from deforming from the point load applied by the top of the damper piston whenever you hit a bump.

I can see you have a strengthening bar running across the top of the butress but you really could do with one on the underside as well.

2) I had leaky dampers and I believe the reason the dampers had started leaking was due to there being no angular movement where the top of the damper bolts to the butress arm.

I'd never noticed or realised this before, but as the damper moves up and down it's travel, it needs to pivot a couple of degrees where it bolts to the butress. Because of the reinforced in the butress arm, there was absolutley no movement or flex in the arm so as a result, the damper rod tried to pivot where it slides into the damper body....and over time the seal gave up.

To combat this, I've had to put some flex back into the where the damper bolts to the butress arm....and I've done this by basically using a rubber washer in a aluminium cup......I' ve wrote up what I've done in this thread;

http://www.rhocar.org/index.php?showtopic=27038&st=45

• 1 month later...
Guest weazel134

so after making extra brackets or the front cycle wings, have now done a few hundred miles and all looks good so far. have also added a ' go faster stripe' photo attached!!post-13451-0-26518700-1437112291_thumb.jpg

Guest 2b cruising

Hi weasel. That looks like a really good job and deserves a well Donne.

Paintwork with the stripe really does is proud.

Enjoy many happy motoring miles.