Speedo Calibration

Guest Mike Rhodes

Guest Mike Rhodes

Next month I have to take my S7 for Its first sort of MOT here in Italy as it's now 4 years since it was imported. My Instrument cluster/Speedo is from a Skoda (Yuk) and doesn't give a reading which makes much sense unless you are a mathematician. I can set up a test bed with a motor/photocell and revcounter so that I know how many rpm the cable is rotating at but what is there to tweak in the speedo itself? I presume that even if the indication could be made correct the distance covered would be hopelessly wrong. This isn't important to me anyway, and my insurance has no limits on mileage etc.

Mike.

Mike

Not sure about recalibration of your skoda speedo but if you can work out the speed of the car, would it not be possible to print up a paper overlay dial showing mph/kilometers that match your car and this can be stuck on top of your original dial .

This may work.

HTH

swan

Mike I dont think there is anything to tweak in the speedo they just work on the number of turns the cable does, you will need a little gearbox to change the speed of the cable. Do they check the speedo on the test? they don't here on the MOT just record the mileage. If all else fails you could fit a bike speedo, I have one on mine, works fine up to about 60, records all sorts of things and costs about £10.

Peter

Guest Mike Rhodes

Thanks for the advice, I'll do as Swan suggested and make up a new dial with the PC and get it laser cut by a local firm. I had details a few years ago on a UK Co that recalibrated speedos or provided custom gearboxes but a bit expensive if i remember correctly.

Mike.