Caliper Carriers

danielbrookes

Well spoke to Europarts and I can take them down to my local store today for a refund, great news. Think I will purchase a pair of these http://www.rallydesi...oducts_id=13593 as nelmo did. Happy with that :)

Just to be clear, those are one single piece - there is no extra bracket that brumster mentions. If that's needed, I'm in the same boat as you.

I thought the whole caliper just bolted on to the hub, no? There seem to be enough bolt holes on the caliper to do that (i haven't got my kit yet, so i can't see what the hub looks like).

Guest 2b cruising

Just to be clear, those are one single piece - there is no extra bracket that brumster mentions. If that's needed, I'm in the same boat as you.

I thought the whole caliper just bolted on to the hub, no? There seem to be enough bolt holes on the caliper to do that (i haven't got my kit yet, so i can't see what the hub looks like).

Ask the suppliers the question before you jump on it.

The brackets do come up on eBay now and then so just pick and chose. That way you can save yourself lots of sheckles to spend on bits of bling.

Guest 2b cruising

They would be fine if you could see condition of bores.

If water has got past the dust covers, after all this time to be as rusty as they are, scrap.

You would still need mounting brackets.

Edited by 2b cruising

Guest 2b cruising

Look on eBay for Sierra rear disc conversion. You will see what they look like.

If your having difficulties, contact Red Engineering. (Tractor). I'm sure he will sort you out.

Edited by 2b cruising

I think I will be fine. I already have the brackets from GBS (http://www.kitspares.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=43_9&product_id=63&car=43).

Those plus the new calipers I have now purchased, should be all I need. I've looked at pictures from a few build guides and read through and that seems to match. Soon find out though :)

Best I can recall, the solid rear cosworth brakes are the same as XR4x4 ones; the smaller 250mm disc. It was the big vented buggers (270mm) that you want to stay clear of, as they are different calipers for the *Cosworth* 4x4.

The rally design ones look identical to the normal Sierra ones to be honest, I wonder if there's actually no difference. Maybe rally design are buying them in off Brakes Int and selling them on at a profit :)

You can spec them with carriers from Brakeparts.co.uk too :

http://brakeparts.co.uk/#!/shop/FORD/SIERRA/89-93/SIERRA%202.0%20DOHC%20RWD%20exc%20Cosworth/Rear%20-%20Brake%20Calipers%20and%20Wheel%20cylinders

• Like 1

Guest davidm

Careful here.

Brakeparts (as with a lot of others) require you to send them an old caliper in exchange, or pay a whopping surcharge on top of the caliper price (£54 surcharge in their case).

Also they are out of stock on the carriers, which you will need in addition to the calipers and the GBS mounting plates.

For info Focus calipers are different (but a lot cheaper), however the discs are the same as the Sierra ones. I'm in the process of fitting some to the back of my series 3 (one of the helpful machinists at work is making me some adapter plates)

Best I can recall, the solid rear cosworth brakes are the same as XR4x4 ones; the smaller 250mm disc. It was the big vented buggers (270mm) that you want to stay clear of, as they are different calipers for the *Cosworth* 4x4.

You can actually use the rear cosworth 4x4 calipers with a vented 253mm disc (same setup as some late model scorpios). Disc was also used on back of the cougar (but different caliper).

The rwd and 4wd cosworths had a different hub, which spaced the caliper out, allowing for a 273mm solid (2wd) or vented (4wd) disc.

Edited by Grim
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...