Kevins Spartan Rewire Started

speedtripledan

I agree, if i ever build another car I would either buy a loom or start from nothing. I wasted too much time retrofitting the sierra loom to the car, never pefect adding to some, shortening others and various connectors or solder joints.

Guest 2b cruising

That is bad bad.

Why do people do it.

Scotch blocks should be banned as a potential danger.

Chop blocks ok if used correctly.

At least you know you start with a good contact.

In Canada early 1980s I remember the army mechanics had brilliant Snap on type tool boxes, but weren't even allowed to change a head gasket on a side valve.

I got boll***** for stripping one in the field.

The main man from the base workshop had to go cap in hand to the civilian works department.

Even they only swopped engines, then sent the broken one away for rebuild.

Electrical emergency joints were made with self soldering nipples. Put the wires in, strike the sulphur patch with a match box and hey presto. Not only was the joint soldered, but also insulated with a form of heat shrink.

I should have purloined a box full because I have never seen them since.

Edited by 2b cruising

No you don't have to tin the wire ends (but I suppose you could), just cut and strip them. Heat with a heat gun, the heat flows the solder and shrinks the heatshrink in one fell swoop.

Edited by RedTrev

I was told by an ex-Audi mechanic who uses them that Audi technicians are only allowed to use those for wiring repairs, they are not allowed to use a soldering iron (health and safety?). Don't know if that's true!