What Brake Pads To Try ?

Guest david_l_perry

Guest david_l_perry

I want to try some different brake pads on my sierra front callipers in the hood to help with the stopping part...

Standard sierra single pot discs on the front. Mitch tells me the front pads fitted are upgraded from standard, but don't know what they are. Just feel I could do with a little bit more stopping power.

Before I go to the expense of new callipers, I want to try changing pads.

Advice and suggestions on what to try ?

Give it a couple of days driving and try using the brakes hard, you might just need to get used to non servo brakes. Alternatively a longer pedal to give more leverage could help.

I have standard Sierra discs and drums with mintex pads and it works for me.

I don't know if your discs and pads are new but if they are new then they will need some time to bed in. If the discs are old and the pads new then depending on the wear on the discs the pads may not bed in properly. (That's what I've found anyway!)

Guest david_l_perry

Cheers chaps. Now I know they are the mintex pads I will just give it some time.

As steve says, I have gone from original sierra servo to a non servo and completely different pedal box as part of my engine change.

It's hard to have a frame of reference as everything has changed other than the pads and discs. New cylinder to front and rear new pedal lever and bias box.

Generally they feel good but only had a couple of very short runs. just need a bit more stomping from my foot then !

I have the same setup as Steve ie standard Sierra disks & calipers, drum rear, but with Mintex pads, & no servo.

They do need a harder push but definitely have more "feel" than standard.

The 1144s are similar to standard as they do not need to be hot to work

at their best, but also have no fade after repeated hard use

Best way to "upgrade the brakes" is to fit stickier tyres.

If you can lock the wheels, the brakes are already more than good enough.

Edited by Bob Tucker

Yes, stamp harder! I got rid of my servo but changed the master cylinder diameter to compensate but this gives longer travel. I've only done a few miles but I'm getting used to it. The only problem is that we have 3 cars all with different brake feel. One has this brake assist which pre-fills the system and nearly puts you through the screen, another has a system which feels soft by comparison and then the hood is totally different

Have to echo the above, I can't believe for standard road use anyone needs anything more than standard pads. 1144's need a few heat cycles and bedding in properly but whatever you do, don't go up from them to 1155's on a road car! If you're not getting the braking power from standard pads in standard calipers on a 650Kg car, then something else is wrong and changing pads isn't going to fix it :)

• Like 1

I echo the stuff about the standard Sierra calipers and discs being more than up to the job - they are designed to stop a significantly heavier car from any legal speed so are usually OTT for a Hood.

M1144's always seemed good to me but I also highly rate Ferodo's bog standard road stuff - I've seen them pull up a road rally car with no drama when the discs were glowing. I used the Ferodo stuff on my Mini that only had 7.5" discs which have a reputation for fading due to heat buildup (later minis had 8.4" as standard but they won't fit under 10" wheels). I never managed to get them to fade and with a hot 1380 under the bonnet it wasn't slow through the twisty bits.

Iain

Guest mower man

I'll duck after posting this , if you are getting brake fade on the road you are doing something wrong ,illegal or both ! ,in 12 years of running my s7 first on std sierra brakes and later with 4 pot hi-spec calipers with std elise rear pads never got any probs at all, rears were std 9" drums std linings no track use but didnt ponce about :crazy: mick

Guest 2b cruising

Give it some time to get used to them.

What's the point of going around the houses, you have just put a new engine in, removed the servo and pedal box set up.

The last thing you want to do is to put harder pads in.

If you are suffering with lack of pedal pressure, putting harder pads in would give you even less effect on road driving.

Softer pads would give you better stopping but have the danger of fading when warmed up.

More ankle exercise is wot u want.

Guest mower man

Like any job mechanical or body work ,painting the front door etc prep is all important if you leave traces of anti corrosion treatment ,oily finger prints etc on a disc you will get probs ,if you dont bed pads correctly you will get probs ,the causes of poor brake performance are many and varied . glazed pads can be rescued with 80 grit production paper and if necc brake cleaner so don't bin them straight away .As I said earlier to get brake fade on the road there is something very wrong some where ,pads meant to be used with a servo may be alittle hard with out one and vice versa and will introduce probs, do your research care fully and get the correct stuff which is not always race /competition based mick