Excessively Loud Fuel Pump

WallerZ

Hi All,

Having taken my Zero out to enjoy the heatwave I noticed that my high pressure fuel pump is running incredibly loud, so much so I can be driving in 1st or 2nd about 15-30mph and still hear it over the exhaust. I know it's a quiet exhaust but the fuel pump is emitting an ever increasing buzzing to the point that it would make conversation with a passenger at traffic lights difficult.

I don't know the brand or model but its the one GBS/Kitspares sell. Does anybody know if this loud buzzing sound is the pre-warning for a failure or are they normally quite loud? I also have around a 3rd of a tank of fuel too.

Cheers,

Zach

Hot weather & standing in traffic makes our pump noisy , heat from engine without rad fan needing to run is worst --- so have override on rad fan to move air though engine bay & carry a spare.

Guest 2b cruising

If they all have the same pump that does this, I would look towards changing it for one that a regular car manufacturer uses.

Might be more expensive, or cheaper from a breakers, but you know you are getting one the can put up with extreme conditions.

The buzzing noise MUST mean long term damage is being caused somewhere. Either electronics or mechanical.

If it is because of close tolerances through expanding parts, it will still cause long term problems.

First thing I would check though would be pre pump filters.

Edited by 2b cruising

Yeah with looking to rebuild the car over winter, I'm hoping its not an early warning for impending failure. Its always made a noise but yesterday the weather was probably the hottest it's ever been used in. I need to install some aircon!

Cheers for the replies, I'll have a look when its cooler, maybe at 2am if the neighbours don't mind :D

Guest 2b cruising

Yeah with looking to rebuild the car over winter, I'm hoping its not an early warning for impending failure. Its always made a noise but yesterday the weather was probably the hottest it's ever been used in. I need to install some aircon!

Cheers for the replies, I'll have a look when its cooler, maybe at 2am if the neighbours don't mind :D

My neighbours are very understanding.

They like their sleep, and would shoot anybody disturbing it.

Especially she who must be obeyed.

Where are your pump and swirl pot, under the bonnet?

If they're suffering like that when the temperature goes up just a few degrees I'd be thinking about relocating them to the back of the car and away from the under bonnet heat.

Swirl pot in the boot and the pumps where they might get a bit of airflow over them.

Guest iank

Cant say I noticed any more noise than normal when i was sitting in a 20 minute queue to get into a car park yesterday in the blazing sun. My high pressure pump is mounted in the engine bay the other side of the drivers footwell. The only thing that was abnormal was me, being slowly roasted.

Guest david_l_perry

Mine is mounted right at the back of the car next to the tank, so cant be subject to engine heat.

Its a brand new fuel pump that I got with the Emerald kit as part of my engine refit.

http://www.emeraldm3d.com/fuel/sytec-fuel-injection-pump-otp020.html

It was pretty noisy on Wednesday when I went out for a long drive. It was a stonkingly hot day. But other than noting how the pump sounded louder, I had no problems.

All quite again now when I drove it this morning.....

I have the same pumpas you David mounted in the rear nearside wheel arch.

It's always been noisy, so I figure it's one of those 'quirks'.

But it getting to be pain in the ar3e now and I have a new one to replace it - can' t be bothered at the moment though

Guest 2b cruising

If you have fastened direct to body or chassis parts, this will transmit or even amplify the pump noise.

It is best to anchore parts like this with small cotton reels.

The rubber then absorbe the running vibrations from the pump and illiminates the noise.

HTH, Ken.

That's a good idea Ken, hadn't even thought of that - thanks.

The pump is fixed to my boot, so could be a suspect.

I've some anti vibration mat in the garage so will use some of this when I get some garage time.

Cheers

Al

Yeah mine is mounting to the drivers footwell panel via 2 exhaust clamps, holding the panel doesn't do anything either so not entirely the panel vibrating. Sounds like a bit of anti-vibration will help as well as checking when colder.

I'm looking into a new fuel tank anyway so will look to relocate the pump as currently I have a low pressure pump at the rear to pull it out the tank then the high pressure in the engine bay to injector rail I believe. Can't remember the GBS advised system from the top of my head.