Best 'fast' Engine Choices

Guest rodg98133

Guest rodg98133

I am currently in the early planning stages of my build with my kit being delivered in 2 weeks time.

I am looking at engine options. Was originally going to go zetec but want some scope to get mega power out of it in the future.

Is the duratec alot more tuneable? I'm thinking turbo/supercharge but will be a while after the cars built.

I am going for a current plate so needs to be brand new.

Thanks

Guest 2b cruising

Duratec probably has the best ford manufactured parts available for tuning.

It's an American engine that was available just before the European answer, the zeetec.

Both are highly tunable but don't think that a Duratec ST 170 will give you 170 bhp. It won't. That's just a sales gimmick.

Without the 6 cylinder range, you would be spending a fair bit of money getting above the ST engine outputs.

Contact our own chairman, steamer about supercharging as he has just completed a zetec conversion.

His company is called Red Engineering and he is not expensive and very reasonably (untouchable) priced at this kind of work.

A different way to go might be the Vauxhall route.

Z20let basic is 240 bhp. Easy and cheap to get to 280 bhp. Anything over 300 means lots of money including all engine internals

Z20leh basic is 280 standard. Same as the let engine but I thing the engine parts are already forged. Not cirtain about this though.

I hope this is a bit of help for you and not just a hindrence

I saw an LS3 motor in a white road runner in Colchester. It looked awesome. The owner said it would spin in fourth.

It's a heck of an engine and a very small space but looked perfect.

Guest 2b cruising

With the above he also probably needed a cork & very tight elastic panties.

Very funny.

The old ones are always the best.

My grandma used to call corks "wind jammers"

Edited by 2b cruising

It's an American engine that was available just before the European answer, the zeetec.

Both are highly tunable but don't think that a Duratec ST 170 will give you 170 bhp. It won't. That's just a sales gimmick.

Without the 6 cylinder range, you would be spending a fair bit of money getting above the ST engine outputs.

I'm a fan of the duratec, though i don't think i'll get around to fitting one. A few minor points:

It's a ford/mazda engine introduced in 2001 (zetec was '94ish?). Stock 2.0 engine produce 150ish bhp, but can release up to 200 with fuelling/exhaust.

The ST170 is a zetec with a fancy head, and like you say, wont release any more power (without aftermarket non-vvt cams)

If your looking for big power expect to spend £££ if you want to turn a N/A to supercharger or turbo. if supercharging you will need either a twin screw or centrifugal, eaton cant deliver big boost without lots of heat. theres load of bolt on part for turboing but will still cost big money if your looking for big BHP

Far easier and cheeper root would be put a cossy lump or vauxhaul turbo lump in from the start and tune that from there. unless you want a V8 then bolt a supercharger to it and go buy alot of underwear

I wont add, what mine has cost to supercharge my zetec, but its thousdands, i am after 350 to 400bhp its never the big parts that seam to cost the money its all the little extras you need that just add up to alot.

as said above speak to richard (red seven enginnering) or PM me and i will list eveything i have done (minius the 4 pot water feature)

• Like 3

my duratec, is standard except the fuel (jenvey tb and omex) and exhaust (home made) , 186 horses and a good torque curve..

and the exhaust is on the correct side!

Edited by Dave R

There ain't no replacement for displacement..........unless it's a supercharger you're after then come and see RedSeven :)

My opinion is there are 3 very different routes you can go down in answer to your question.........

1) motorbike engines...........these benefit from being very light and high rev-ing........mosts Bike engined cars I've seen are mega fast....but the downside is the engines and clutches are not durable and seem to need changing all the time.....(not from personal experience, just the impression I get from people who have BEC).

2) Forced Induction..........most supercharger set ups for our kind of cars are good for up to 10-12 PSI of boost....except rotrex which gives much higher boost but costs mega money.

Turbos are probably easier and cheaper £ per bhp as they give more boost.

It's better to start with an engine that is already designed to take boost...........if the engine is designed to be N/A....then you can only run low boost unless you spend a load of money on upgrading the engine internals........

3) V6 or V8 engine.........like I said, there aint no replacement for displacement.............this was my chosen path and I have a rover V8 running 270 bhp.

I love the noise and the torque that the engine produces........from 3rd or 4th gear at low rpm it accelerates pretty rapid.

These engines tend to be low rpm......max 6-6.5k rpm....

One other point to consider............my kit is a D reg and so emissions have never been tested at MOT (visible smoke test is all they do)........I'm sure if I had a new plate, my V8 probably wouldn't pass?

Edited by steamer

Guest rodg98133

The main issue I have is I want current plate when I register it. I may just stick a standard new zetec in there as this seems the cheapest option then once registering is complete look at swapping to a bigger or turbo engine.

Ive always liked the vauxhall let engine so may well go with something like that but I also now like the sound of a big v8.

I will have to see what comes up at the time but for now and for registration I will just stick a brand new zetec in.

Thanks for the help guys