Painting Brake Discs

nelmo

Based on the fact that it seems to be the first thing that rusts and it's very obvious, i was considering putting a coat of Hammerite on the central boss of the brake disc (obviously not the braking area) - is that ok to do?

I ask only because no-one ever seems to do this - i saw a brand new 5-series that looked great except for the trace of rust already appearing on the disc boss.

Think you might need some higher temp paint than Hammerite, bit in principle sounds like a good idea. There's quite a few options if you search for high temperature paint on eBay ...... got me thinking now!

Guest mower man

As above Hammerite black /silver never a prob temps on the road are unlikely to get to the point where there is a prob, track days may be different , caliper paint may be another route to follow mick :crazy:

lots of discs are now coming from the motor factors either lightly painted or zinc plated fitted a set of expensive discs to a range rover sport they were black all over pad area soon went shiny on the test drive.

sprayed mine with a light coat of red oxide for the build ( going to be a while :( )

yes you are right,

works the same way a grinding wheel is mounted.

something to do with the transference of energy.

I'm sure someone will come up with the full scientific/engineering answer.

I've very lightly painted discs on various cars over the years and never had any obvious problems,

if anything I would say that the expansion of rust between the two surfaces would be more of a problem,

how many people have had to use a large hammer to remove old discs I certainly have.