Super Spec Clutch Noise

Guest Croftscw

Guest Croftscw

Hi recently brought a 2005 super spec with the rover t series engine. Car runs mint just the clutch makes some serious rattles but clutch works mint.

Anyone know of any fixes to cure the noise?

Chris

I guess you haven't read my article on the Superspec 'foibles' in "Boys in Hood" :) Most Superspecs suffer from this to some degree. As far as I am aware the reason is that Richard Stewart had to hand manufacture a brass 'thingy' to help mate the Rover engine with the MT75 box, and his tolerances were a bit iffy. I think the only solution is to machine a new one with tighter tolerances. That will need the engine/gearbox out (although to be more accurate the rest of the car 'up'). Personally I am living with it until it fails completely. So far 11,000 miles sounding like a bucket of bolts but still going strong.

I should add I am not aware of any Superspec owner having it fail. Although I await to be corrected. And I think most owners who cured it did it by changing the engine.

Edited by alanrichey

Chris

Sorry, just realised you only joined recently so will not have seen the magazine. My apologies. I will PM you a copy of the article. You might also find it useful to check out my blog (in the signature) that covers 2 years experience with a Superspec.

Cheers

Al

Edited by alanrichey

Some bed time reading for you

http://www.rhocar.org/index.php?showtopic=26387&hl=clutch

The chatter / rattle is because the pivot end of the fork is held between 2 nylock nuts (one of them fitted the wrong way) Fitting a light spring to the clutch arm to keep the release bearing in contact with the cover plate helps alot with the noise

Cracking stuff. For some reason I had not seen that on my research, explains a lot. Although I have to say I did fit a spring to the end of the fork and it didn't really have much effect. But pleased to hear it probably isn't fatal :) Did you ever produce the Word doc ? if so I would love a copy in case I ever have to take the engine out for any reason.