Coolant Bottle On Dohc

Guest Jonnyround2003

Guest Jonnyround2003

The only way I can stop my car overheating is by leaving the pipe off the top of the bottle before it was sealed with a screw. I have tried connecting a tube to it and made it higher than the engine to try and stop coolant coming out but when I turn the engine off it still comes out and I have to top if up each time any ideas

post-13092-0-33098100-1437301090_thumb.jpg

Guest 2b cruising

Throw away the bottle and go back to the old fashioned way.

My cap is 16 psi and the overflow,goes down the Sid of the rad to the bottom.

Did this after clearing out the nose cone but f/got to mention it earlier.

These engines are so deep there is just no room for them at the correct hight.

Edited by 2b cruising

Guest jelleyhead

I am having the same problem with my dohc water is poring out from my bottle i have to top the rad up all the time it seems to me the water is not circulating around the engine think i mite have blockage some were or duff water pump going to strip it down at weekend and put new pump in as well

Guest Jonnyround2003

I used a hose to force the water through only way to get the air out and fit a vent near the top what does your temp go up to !

Guest jelleyhead

It sits just below the R on the dash think it should be more between the o and the R i could have duff temp sender i was just looking could you run with no bottle the hoes that comes from the bottle goes to the back of the pump so could i not go from the pump on to the housing for the thermostat as this one goes back in to the bottle this would then take the bottle out would this work

I am having the same problem with my dohc water is poring out from my bottle i have to top the rad up all the time it seems to me the water is not circulating around the engine think i mite have blockage some were or duff water pump going to strip it down at weekend and put new pump in as well

My Superspec has always done this. I eventually figured out that I was actually overfilling it, so that when the engine was hot the expansion bottle filled and then overflowed. Once I stopped filling it up all the time, and it found it's own level it was fine.

Guest 2b cruising

Hi Alan. Mine was as yours and I tried what you have done.

I was just about to rip my cyl head off, when I thought I would try it the old fashioned way.

Cleared ancills from nose cone. Roomed bottle.

Blocked off w/pump pipe work that went to the bottle and t/housing.

Used a 16 psi rad top and had no bother since. Runs on 75' no matter what the weather or driving is like.

This was on the Ford DOHC engine though, not the K.

To get all the air out I did have the front end jacked right up when I filled it 12 months ago and not needed filling since.

Guest jelleyhead

Hi Alan i have a rad with a cap and the cap on the bottle so looking at what you said would i be able to take the bottle out then if so how would i do this thanks

Jelleyhead,

You may have a problem I had. If you have a pressure cap on your rad and a pressure cap on your header tank (bottle), you potentially have 2 routes for air to be drawn back into your cooling system as the coolant cools down, which will subsequently cause your engine to dump coolant when it warms up.

If your rad has an overflow hose, tee this into the overflow from your bottle, (ensure it is air tight!!).

As your coolant expands, it can only flow into your bottle, and as it cools the coolant can only be drawn from the bottle (there's only one route in & out).

You'll have to make sure you have bled the system properly and previously mentioned, don't overfill your bottle - leave plenty of room for coolant expansion.

I've had this set up on mine for over a year now - no overheating or coolant loss (or even expansion), even when hooning around on very hot days. Engine is a 2 litre Zetec

Hope this helps

Al