Rivet Drill Size

nelmo

Got a box of 3.2mm rivets from GBS for my kit and, typically, my drill kit has a 3mm and 3.5mm drill bit but not 3.3mm.

I've drilled a test hole and with the 3.5mm bit, the rivet, as you'd expect, sits a little loosely in the hole.

I haven't got any spare metal yet to do a test with but will the rivet be firm enough once popped? Or should I really get a 3.3mm bit?

Edited by nelmo

Guest 2b cruising

Yes, imperial 1/8 bit.

Should not be to difficult.

Must still be using, or buying old stock.

They are supposed to be sending me new stone guards and rivets.

That means I had better get one ready for the job.

Nelmo,

I'd suggest you get several 3.3mm drill bits. I bought mine in boxes of 10 from a local engineering suppliers. Only HSS, but also only £5 a box.

Guest 2b cruising

Problem with drilling stainless is that the molecules are very rarely equal in texture.

Hit a small piece of chrome when drilling and this is what does your tip no good.

Problem with drilling stainless is that the molecules are very rarely equal in texture.

Hit a small piece of chrome when drilling and this is what does your tip no good.

Common grades of stainless steel are structurally uniform (with the exception of titanium or niobium stabilised grades, such as 316Ti which these chassis are not made of). Sometimes it is possible to adversely affect stainless steel by heating between 450 to 800°C to form carbon-chromium intermetallics (C6Cr23 amongst others), but that's a greater corrosion problem than a machining problem.

The reason many people have problems drilling stainless is that the rate of work hardening of austenitic stainless steel is very high, i.e. it gets stronger/harder when you deform it, so bent tube sections are going to be more difficult to drill. In addition to this, the area under your drill bit gets work hardened, so ideally you need to drill a hole in 1 attempt, rather than lifting off and reapplying pressure. The lower the speed the better, 50 - 200rpm approx. Always use lube.

Edited by Grim

Nelmo,

I'd suggest you get several 3.3mm drill bits. I bought mine in boxes of 10 from a local engineering suppliers. Only HSS, but also only £5 a box.

Yup, exactly what I've done 😉

Thanks all...