Pinto Efi Lost Spark

Guest fontayne56

Guest fontayne56
Hi all been building my 2B for about 3 years now juggling life and houses you know how it is. I have a EFI 2,0 Fuel Injected Electronic ignition.

I had the car running about two years ago. One day i was running it in the garage when i spluttered and stopped. It had lost its spark. I left it since now.

Now a new garage and a new home i am ready to get the project back on track.

Here are the simptons.

It turns over with no spark. I hear a relay flick when the ignition is turned on. Fuel pump engages. But with a tester on it i nearly get 12 volts to it. 8.6 volts. Turns over but the rev counter does not bounce? should it do ... ?

I have tested the coil. I have taken it off the car and checked its working ok. I have also tried another coil. It gets warm if ignition is left on. I have 12 volts to the coil also i have given the coil a new earth and it now earthed fine. I am getting 12 volts out of the coil down to inside the distributer cap.

I have tried cleaning the earths to the ignition module and the backing plate which i think its earthed through. Is there a way of testing this ?

I have tested the earth to the engine block and given the spark plugs its own earth. Still no joy.

When the distrubuter is loose i can move it round slightly left and right and i can hear a relay fire on and off again but when i do this i still don't get and power down the ht leads.

I have tried another icu and i have now run out of ideas

PLEASE HELP !!!!! :(

Off work for six weeks and i have loads of play time.

Many Thanks

Ryan

2B sliding pillar with 2.0L pinto, sierra EEC 1V ECU. Is that a Bosch Hall effect dizzy? EEC1V (TFI) ignition module. No crank sensor.

Dizzy has a three wire plug. One to earth and Blue/yellow to TFI and Black/red to TFI and ECU. Pretty reliable. New rotor arm might help.

TFI module. Six wires (One of which is an earth) Doesn't earth through the body. Heat sensitive. Must be mounted to flat metal and the back coated in heatsink paste. Running without can lead to overheating and a blown TFI module and no spark.

I have tried cleaning the earths to the ignition module and the backing plate

As a first step I would borrow or buy a good TFI module and mount properly.

Presumably as you had it running the EEC 1V (ECU) is/was wired OK.

Nigel

Guest peter2b2002

I had the same as others will tell you ,on mine it turned out to be the hall sensor in the dizy that had gone you can check by testing between the 3 wires 1 goes to earth another has 12volts the 3_rd should go from 12 to 0 ish when you turn the dizy shaft you will also hear the injectors clicking,the 3rd wire is the signal wire to the tfi module

peter2b