Brake Problem

Guest janis

Guest janis

Hi guys..done another couple hundred miles in my 2b..love it..hed couple dry nice enough days..

I have problem again..brakes start leaking on my feet..after inspection i found that brake pipe leaking coming out from master cylinder...plan is to take it off..cut the end off and make the end bigger and kinda stretch it with like screw driver or something and put it back..done that before years ago..my problem is that im sceared that when i take pipe off oil run out..woud it run out if pedal not pressed?i dont want to air get in the system..

Sorry its a bit mees here but i just have barbeque and few beers :D

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 2b cruising

Enjoy the BBQ Janis. Just finished ours myself.

Do not attempt to open the end of the pipe with a screwdriver.

The flares on the end of brake pipes are known as double flares, where one flare turns back on itself.

A single flare is to thin and you will be asking for trouble.

Tomorrow I will give you an item number for eBay pipe flaring tool.

It is honestly the best cheap type of tool available. Foolproof if instructions are followed and useable on pipes still fitted in tight places.

Will pm you Tomoz mate.

Guest 2b cruising

Both of those pipes look as though hey will tighten more.

Not tonight drunkard.

Are you certain it is not coming from the supply pipe. The one that comes from the reservoir.

Edited by 2b cruising

Guest 2b cruising

Put a plastic bag under your filler cap and tighten cap. This will keep most of the fluid in the reservoir and master cylinder.

Makes it easier to bleed brakes again, but must be done.

So im fixing brakes now..thinking about bleeding..if i put pipe on bleed nipple and in bottle when i pump brakes and make shore reservoir is full with oil it will push air out?when pedal travel back up will it not suck some air back in pipe?do i not need hold the pedal down till i close nipple again?

You can also get the easy-bleed system which uses air pressure from the spare tyre to do the work of the "monkey in the seat" and I found it did the job very well.

You sometimes have to re-pressurise the tyre when it runs out and you can't use too much pressure else it might blow the cap off the master cylinder.

Simon.

Guest 2b cruising

If the pipe from the nipple is long enough, and bottle above the cylinder you are bleeding, push your foot down and wait a few seconds for all the air to rise. Also make sure pipe is not in the fluid while the bottle is high. That way the air will come out of the pipe and you will only suck clear fluid out of the pipe.

Always best way with easy bleed, suction bleed or two people though.

The first one is only if you are stuck out somewhere on your own.

If your pedal is soft after you have bled the brakes, to do the rear cylinders jack the back of the car up and lock it up.

Then try bleeding just the rear cylinders again.

On yours with no servo, your pedal MUST be solid.

Edited by 2b cruising