Brake Problem

Guest janis

Crap..fixed the pipe..tool u recomended ken worked 100% and was very easy..

Friend helped to blled brakes pedal was weird hard..harder than before..took him home thrue town everything 100% coming back brakes went on and stayed on..had to get her home couple miles so just drive on engine get very hot..everything smelled brakes and people give me veird looks :D

Get her home even brake lights on..dont understand..notice that from trying to bleed brakes i had pushed pedal to hard and bent bolt going thrue pedal box but its only little..brakes were well on..ideas?

P.S fixed my wipers while waiting somebody to give me a hand..just need fix motor better and change wire..

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The pedal must have free play. Unless the piston can retract all the way,

the pipes remain pressurised & the brakes will stay on.

I had this happen on the way to an MOT.

I eventually found the carpet had wedged under the pedal (floor mounted)

& kept the brakes on.....same as you, horrid smell, & wisps of smoke.

But eventually I cooled down, & the car passed.

While bleeding brakes i emty reservoir but as i only bleed one wheel where pipe was off i bleed all air out afterwards..it coudnt get anywhere else if other nipples were closed..and pedal is ultra hard now too..

Guest 2b cruising

Your free travel needs to be around1 to 1.5 inches.

Any less than that it can happen again.

Personally I prefer around 2" as long as the pedal really hard on the first push.

I hope all turns out well for you.

Kit car never stop you working. Even when everything is working, you just want to improve it.

Yea i did..stupid me..try to jam some peace of wood in and stuff to bleed on my own cos there was nobody to help...but it was not pushing that crazy hard..and its only little bit bent..ill try to put some new bolt in today and see how it goes..there is still a bit of play in that pedal and i dont belive it can come fully back for this reason..ill see anyway..

to bleed brakes no easy bleed system required or another person can be done by one person and no bit of wood required

fill reservoir then get a half full bottle of brake fluid attach pipe to bleed nipple place other end of pipe in the bottle of brake fluid make sure pipe sits at the bottom of the bottle then undo bleed nipple and pump brake pedal slowly pump until reservoir nearly empty then tighten nipple then repeat on the other brakes

Dont know if you can still get them, but its easy enough to make.

I had a short length of clear soft plastic pipe. One end was blocked,

and at the same end was a small slit along the length of the tube.

The open end went over the opened bledd nipple.

This allowed fluid out under pressure, but closed up to prevent air entering.

Found one...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/200345014236?hlpht=true&hlpv=2&rlsatarget=&adtype=pla&ff3=1&lpid=122&poi=&ul_noapp=true&limghlpsr=true&ff19=0&device=c&chn=ps&crdt=0&ff12=67&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff14=122&viphx=1&ops=true&ff13=80

Edited by Bob Tucker

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLASSIC-CAR-ONE-MAN-BRAKE-BLEED-KIT-UNIVERSAL-BRAKE-BLEED-KIT/151744490289?_trksid=p2141725.c100338.m3726&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20141212152715%26meid%3Ddddb566f3a884f23b954c0dca824984c%26pid%3D100338%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D26%26sd%3D200345014236

This is the one I used on the MX5 after the pressure kit mentioned by SimonB blew my reservoir cap off.

The clear pipe on this one means you can see the bubbles in the tube and if they are gone you know you are done - so a one man job (but I still used the apprentice for brake pedal pressing duty just like my Dad did with me.)

So went to garage this morning and brakes were off...pump for ages and not locking up..pin in master cylinder still have a play when brakes are off..pull the pin out from pedal box and bent is so little impossible to staighten...put it all back again..pump brakes for ages not locking up ...maybe they where averpumped cos bleeding or something..all seem to be fine now and i cant find anything..