Brake Problem

Guest janis

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So went in garage today to go for test drive and brakes is on solid?WTF???

when i left the car brakes were off and i was trying to pump them and lock them and nothing..now without touching it its on again...wee pin from brake pedal to master cylinder is loose and brakes on..is thats master cylinder gone?any other options?

Guest 2b cruising

It is physically possible that fluid could bypas the M/cyl seals, if the reservoir is higher than it.

I have never heard of this before.

Usually not enough free travel in the linkage but it won't be that if your fulcrum pin is still loose.

It cannot be faulty wheel cylinders as they would just leak out, not suck fluid in.

It cannot be a servo faulty because you don't have one.

If you can get hold of a m/cyl, I would change that.

Have you tried slowly releasing the brake fluid from a bleed nipple, any one will do.

If this works ,your problem has to be a hydraulic fault with your m/cyl holding pressure in your system. ie, your pedal might be coming all the way off but the piston in the cylinder is not fully returning either through faulty seals, or tight piston.

Piston fault can be caused by swelling rubber or foreign mater between it and the cylinder bore, or even a snapped return spring behind the cylinder.

It might be worth just stripping the piston out, easy job just lay things down on a clean mat as you take them out and put back in the same order.

If everything looks good, make sure you can push the piston all the way up the cylinder and it returns easily with just its spring.

Not sure but I think your system might have a dual piston, or two Pistons on the same rod,

Don't try doing this dry, if you have any proper brake Greece (red) use that, if not use brake fluid.

Let me know how you get on.

Pity you are over there.

HTH, Ken.

Edited by 2b cruising

I can loose pressure off and now i have that special bleeder too..i did not know that master cylinder can be taken apart..and yes fluid sits rigt on top of it...ok thats new plan..ill take it apart when i get chance...

Maybe by trying bleed them and messing around i put too much pressure on it and brake that spring..

Guest 2b cruising

There should be a circlip stopping the piston coming out.

Just remove that and bang the cylinder down on something sturdy like a bench.

Use a cloth to stop markin the cylinder and not to much bang to damage or miss-shape the cylinder.

So today i finnaly get chance to take m/c off and find that washer at the end of it is bent and thats enough to stop it from coming back fully..found the washer with good fit so hopefully finsh up tomorrow..

Guest 2b cruising

Looks to me that you have found your problem Janis.

Well done mate.

Your rod must have either bent or not been sitting right to do that.

Make sure the rod runs in a straight line into the m/cyl when you put it back matey.

Well yea..theres been a few things but i dont mind..at least i know how m/c looks from inside and how it works.. :D i have done a good few miles too..i need a bit more garage time and ill sort it out..need an hour on wipers and they will work too i found the fault..just handbrake is the mysery still..no time..

So just finished..put ticker washer on..bleed brakes..took her for spin and can lock the wheels no problem so sweet...up at 6 and can take her to work again..40mi each way..thanks everybody who helped..