Rivnut Tool

nelmo

Guest mower man

Bargain basement tool is simply a correct size set crew and a nut ,place rivnut in hole ,fit nut to bolt, fit bolt to riv nut hold bolt with spanner ,tighten nut down onto rivnut til it is tight in hole ,undo nut and wind out bolt simples ,but easier with correct tool ,Ihave used both the above can be used when acsess is tight HTH mick :crazy:

Mick's saying to use the nut and bolt to set the rivnut into place. Put the nut onto the bolt then screw that assembly into the rivnut. By holding the bolt head and turning the nut it will set the rivnut into place.

Buy a good quality rivnut tool as the cheaper ones won't pull the larger sizes into place without wearing badly - ask me how I know! Mine was exchanged but the replacement was still rubbish. I now borrow a fabricators professional piece of kit when I need one.

Guest ali2992

definitely agree with buy the best you can afford, i went through about 3 before then switching to a memfast one that was about twice the price of a standard one but it hasn't missed a beat, its not a pull type either so access in small areas is great too

That's basically the nut / bolt type job with a large washer.

I had some made up that had ball bearing mating surfaces which made them easier to use but the weak point is that the nut you use is only good for a few rivnuts before you have to replace with another as the threads tend to wear out quickly.

Works well though.

Simon.

Edited by Simon B

Guest 2b cruising

Remember that says 6mm rivets only.

No use for anything bigger or smaller.

Rivet guns just don't have the leverage to fit riv nuts.

Even if you were Charles Atlas, the tool would brake before crimping the nut.

I didn't spend a fortune on mine - picked it up from eBay after having a chat with one of the guys at GBS. Its got several insets so it can be used with different size rivets & it's been invaluable (not just on the Zero either)