Exhaaust Heat Wrap

Guest elgey7

Guest elgey7

I just removed the old exhaust manifold wrapping from my 2b Pinto with the

intention of replacing it with new stuff. The old wrap was tatty & falling apart. I'm looking for views as to if it is really necessary & does it really help the horses?

Does it really keep down the under bonnet temp that much?

Do most RH members run with exhaust wrap or without?

How difficult is the manifold to remove?

I would appreciate some advice.

Thanks

Colin

Guest Petemate

Hi Colin

I've seen many 2bs with heatwrap and many without. I'm fortunate in having a sleeve on my clutch cable made from material resistant to more heat than even a 4 into 1 can put out, so I think I'll go for a heat-shield set-up. B) I intend to also mount a shield on the rear of the alt, or even make the exh shield long enough to protect that too. :)

Regarding removal of the 4 - 1, mine is the sliding pillar. I found after carefully fitting my de-coked inj head that I should really have positioned the exhaust in place first to make the job easier. :o But I suppose in the back of my mind was when I did the masking-tape business with the exhaust on the original head while fitting the side panel, I noted that with the servo/m/cyl removed, steering shaft dropped away from the top end, and the alt off, the exhaust was just removable without breaking the masking tape. <_< So it came to pass that it went in OK with the side panel on. :)

HTH

Pete(Oldgit)

P.S. Post-SVA I plan to fit those nice marine vents to help get the hot air out of the engine bay.

Guest salty_monk

There's another thread on here from a couple of weeks back discussing this same point with a couple of suppliers links... Can't find it at the mo tho,, ;)

I'm going to wrap mine as it has already melted the outer of the clutch cable about 3" across...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest elgey7

Thanks for your help guys.

I've removed the manifold & re-wrapped it.

I had to remove the servo, master cylinder & steering shaft.

A lot of work for a bit of heat wrap & it's still a struggle to remove.

However in a way I'm glad I did since the round pipe to square flange joints were a mess. These joints were so bad, it must have been a huge gas flow restriction.

Still not sure of the benefit.

Regards

Colin

Guest paul thompson

No one really answered if it is a benefit or not. Does it really keep the engine compartment cooler? I have heat shield wrapped around the clutch cable and it is also held in place by a bracket I made for it. The manifold and collector have already gone very yellow in colour, does that mean that they are getting too hot? what else does the exhaust wrap actually do? How much do you need to wrap a 4 branch up to the point where it pokes through the side panel on a 2B? My 3 legged baffle thinkgy has moved out of the pipe and ended up in the silencer and is rattling like b**gery. any ideas how to get it out?

We use exhaust heat wrap on several test bed engine rigs at my work, and yes, it certainly keeps the place cooler than when we used to run without it. The extra horses is true from a scientific / thermodynamics point of view, but it's unlikely to be noticed in reality. The main benefit is lower temperature.

Ant

Guest salty_monk

Have just wrapped my 4into1 & used what was left to wrap the clutch cable.

Used the Protec stuff from Proven products.

The other stuff is not cheaper when you get to the volume you'll need (I used 15m x 50mm).

I managed to lag the pipes from where they meet the head to where they exit the side without removing anything.. was a bit of a struggle at times, you have to do some from the top & some from the bottom but I got there...

Will probably make up some heatshields for the Brake servo, poss alternator & also the clutch cable to be on the safe side in the future & am also going to add some vents to the sides of the bonnet too....

Lower under bonnet temp should mean cooler air going in to the carb, cooler air is denser so in theory you get a bigger bang & more power... don't know the real world effect is noticeable though, primary purpose for mine was to save the clutch cable!

Suppose you may also notice this more with the DGAS fitted rather than the sidedraughts... Am looking into fitting a R19 16v vent straight above my DGAS for the same reason - again not sure it will make that much difference but can't really do any harm!

Guest Simon M

Paul

My baffle thingy came loose twice & eventually it was spat out while I was waiting at some lights!

I've made a new one from heavier gauge stainless & seems OK so far. I also turned the front end of the silencer tube in slightly to trap the baffle prongs.

Simon