When's A 40 Mph Not A 40Mph

Guest peter2b2002

Yes, this is from the Energy = 1/2 Mass x Velocity squared equation.

I.e. If you are doing 35 mph and you double the speed to 70, you have 4x the amount of energy to burn off in order to stop.

This is why stopping distances don't go up in a linear fashion.

Simon.

Guest peter2b2002

one thing why don't they put up a sign saying the speed limit is going to be reduced to ??? a few weeks before is in force,or is this another way of catching drivers

peter2b

Hi Peter, I agree completely.

Any council should (must?) discuss reducing any speed limit

a long time before implementing it.

It seems like common sense to advertise the change, but Its been my experience working

for my local council, that common sense is very uncommon.

Its the police & associated groups that "police" speed limits,

but the local council that determine what they are.

Left & right hands I reckon.

But it does seem odd that there was a group checking the speed

immediately after the council changed it. Coincidence???

County Councils have to post any amendment to the highways, parking restrictions, speed limit changes, yellow lines etc etc.

The normal route for this is to have a small section in a local newspaper (free or otherwise depending on the contract), in the public announcements section or on a dedicated page, again depending on the contract.

The downside is that in order to reduce cost, the section is usually small with even smaller print, to fit as much detail/info into as small a space as possible.

The change will only be posted once - if you miss it, you will have to rely on the new speed signs.........

The change isn't usually posted at the site (in the fashion of a planning application), but some Councils will and do.

That's why there are the local speed watch groups 'on site' immediately after as they have spotters who know where to check in the local press and they note the date when the change comes into force.

Guest 2b cruising

An old way of getting planning permission used to be an advert in a local paper.

Lots of people used to use very obscure circulars, in order to try and get the plans through without public obstruction.

An old gaffer of mine used to do this if he wanted to increase the size of his fleet of artics.

Edited by 2b cruising