Calling Any Fiberglass Gurus!

Guest mcramsay

if you use a flat patch on the outside then you will have to use filler when you take the patch off to match the repair to the shape of the panel the way I would do it would be to find another part of the bodywork that is the same shape as the area you want to repair and mould a small patch from that area then use that to cover the whole use a weight to hold that in place then put the gelcoat on the inside one layer at a time left to cure between layers then put one layer of glass on leave to cure then key the surface then apply the rest of the layers

ok I'm back in the country on Wednesday if you get the gel coat I'll pop down and give you a hand you might have to be quick as I'm off again in a few weeks just have to wait for my business visa.

It looks like you used a hole cutter to make this, so what I might be inclined to do, would be to:

Fix some wood behind the hole that you have cut. this will act as stable material to start new hole.

Now cut the same size hole, in the right place, this will of course overlap the original hole.

The wasted piece from this cut can then be rotated round to act as the infill. obviously it will be thinner by the width of the cutting blade, but might be easier to use than filling in the entire hole.

If that makes no sense I could try and add some drawings..

Nige

• Like 1

Guest mcramsay

I get what you mean, good idea. I have ordered a fiberglass kit so I may aswell do it properly, I'm going to have a good look at it in daylight this evening and see how it all needs to be done

Ivor if I do require help when would you be free?

Guest mcramsay

I get what you mean, good idea. I have ordered a fiberglass kit so I may aswell do it properly, I'm going to have a good look at it in daylight this evening and see how it all needs to be done

Ivor if I do require help when would you be free?

Guest mcramsay

I have the full intention to do the repair properly if needed, looking at it tonight it might not be as bad as I thought as the angle the filler cap sits at when flush against the body takes out the misalignment