Exmo Revamp

jaimo

Got there about had a few issuer to sort was tempted by the rs turbo zero

Got to sort timming and now needs more cooling getting hot again but engine wise seems okay

Wonder if getting hot now due to forgetting to put thermostat in as was okay before

Guest 2b cruising

Sounds like air lock to me.

Can't see you making a silly gasket mistake.

Leaving out the stat just makes it longer to get to running temp. Never the cause of overheating.

Is it boiling the coolant out.

What you mean gasket mistake

Not boiling water out as got expansion tank but runs hot and fan coming on a lot and very hot air coming through into cabin especially from tunnel seemed to be Ok going stoneleigh

Also seemed to be metal pinking noise under load which is prob timing but just won't time up

Also was fine all way to GBS and home but after parking at mums for a while when states up and rev was smoking slightly took a while to stop I used by stem seals so wonder if these are not sealing 100% and cam seems a little cammy could all be affecting

Need to get bike carbs and megajolt on but want to make sure cooling and engine sweet first at least bottom end sound cheers Keith lol

Edited by jaimo

Guest 2b cruising

What temp are you running at Jaimo.

Anywhere between 75 to 90 is good enough for a pinto.

Is your through draught from nose to rad clear.

Is your rad shielded foe air flow to go through it.

Has you air got an escape route from under your bonnet.

Pinking is to much advance on distributed. That will make you run hot.

Pinking starts well before you can hear it and causes serious engine damage.

Can't seen to get rid of the pinking no matter what I do

Don't know temp as Sierra gauge but sits be top but could just be me thinking it's getting too hot fan cuts in at 95 so defiantly getting up there

But also breaths heavy had to remove pipe from block into inlet and block inlet and block pipe now goes in bottle not collect anything but the inlet was sucking it in and burning it but also breathing out oil filler cap is that normal

Guest 2b cruising

You will always get what appears to be breathing from the cam cover on hoc engines because of the mass movement of air caused by the cam rotating.

If there is smoke that's a different matter.

Did you hone the bores or just fit new pistons and rings.

Are all the stem seals still seated right.

Seems strange that all was good when first used but started messing about after the journey.

If you have an accurate compression tester that would be my next move.

Hot spots in the chamber can also cause pinking.

Edited by 2b cruising

The bottom end was reminded and pistons and rings done before I got it basically I am thinking that the cam that's gone in or followers are no good as seems to have a bit of a knock \ rattle up top and maybe the cvh stem seals sent sitting right allowing a bit of oil down

The pinking well could be coil, dizzy or wiring might rip the lot out and fit the megajolt and bike carbs I have just wanted to sort one prob first

Might rip head off again and put cam and followers from my 1800 and put them in as I know there good or believe to be

Just getting a bit disheartened with it

Edited by jaimo

Really at a low with it Chris built loads of engines head gaskets etc etc but this one got me stumped

Like I said when first ran loads of smoke diagnosed oil from pcv valve going into intake and burning disconnected etc and that stopped didn't happen on 1800 but with new oil pump etc maybe that

Now just bit of smoke not loads but every now and again maybe cvh stem seals not 100% and like I said felt good on way to GBS just pinking abit and wanted maybe set up etc definitely felt quicker

But was disappointed on way home could just be getting too hot don't know but just feel like selling it don't mind tinkering etc but hate it when do something and it doesn't work or just not right

I think I better

Save it for a few days alone in garage cause don't want to lose rag and do something I mite regret lol

Then compression test although bottom end looks good and Keith guarantee me was then head off and check something not right

Spend more time repairing than driving which I enjoy both but don't like doing jobs more than needed that's why I took my time as and when I could

Would scream if wife wasn't in bed lol

Edited by jaimo

if its doing your nut in walk away and have some thinking time, its not just you and pintos ive had plenty of fun and games with the zetecs.

In my pinto days i found cheap stem seals leaked very quickly, you need oem quality i found the ones supplied from kent cams were good, other than that go back to the basics, compression test, was the head flat when installed, did you use a good brand head gasket? again cheap ones didnt work very well for me, the running hot could also be the engine running very lean, what do the plugs look like?

it cant be that bad its only a pintosurus

• Like 2

Have a look at the plugs, one may be oilier than the others which will tell you which cylinder is at fault. You may simply have damaged a seal when you put the valves in. You say you can't get the timing right, why's that? Are you setting it up statically or with a timing light? If you set it up statically you should be almost there.

As DanE says, stand back from it (even for a few days), that's what I've had to do several times!

Guest Ian & Carole

Not sure what you mean when you say "you can't time it up" ??

Too advanced will give you over hot running as well as the pinking.

Like Dan says walk away and re-group next weekend with a clear head.

Too much ignition advance and too lean on the fuel will certainly make the engine run hotter than it should do and cause the pinking you are suffering from. Hopefully you haven't done any damage with it pinking etc all the way to GBS and back. Has the bottom end been run in with it's new rings etc? That can cause breathing until the rings bed in and there are two schools of thought on that too, either 500 or so steady miles without straining the engine or just go at it fast and hard with a bunch of full power cycles to really force the rings into the cylinder walls.

Is it a new cam and has that been run in for 20 mins? Longboarder did advise you much earlier to fit the old cam until the engine was running properly.

Seeing as during the course of this build you've managed to misplace part of the oil pump drive, forgotten to fit the fuel pump pushrod and thermostat and have obvious ignition and fuel issues I would be walking away for a few days and reassessing where you are up to. Set the timing statically, adjust the carb to the basics as suggested by owners manual etc, check cam and followers for signs of damage, compression test to eliminate any damage from the pinking, but above all whatever you are doing stop rushing and trying to keep up with Chris, take your time and get it right.

• Like 3