Tv Licence Threats - Rant

agent_zed

So i bought this house about 8 months ago and have been renovating and not actually living in it. Not actually any furniture so definitely no TV.

I've had the usual string of abusive threatening letters off the TV licencing.

The latest made me laugh as it says 'we want to ensure you have the information you may need before a hearing is set at your local court' !!! maybe the information they want me to have is that i don't need a TV licence as i don't have a tv, which will be interesting in court.

I refuse to spend my time giving them my information and telling them i don't have a TV (i'd rather rant about it :) ). If i have a TV i'll buy a licence otherwise i am not telling them anything, don't see why i should.

It's the same as the government sending everyone car tax letters on the basis 'most' people own a car so surely you must!

Still annoys me that blind people only get a 50% discount! give it them for free! I can imagine the meeting with some smart-ass saying 'but they still get 50% of the program!'

Essentially this boils down to harassment - which they can be taken to court for. I'm surprised nobody hasn't already done this - I guess most people look on it as a waste of time.

N.B. what happened to the old fashioned knock at the door - so they can walk round the house to see your TV?

I don't object to the licence as such but its the language they use. It's all threats and in tiny print at the bottom it says you don't need a licence if you don't have a tv and only watch stuff online (never live). It makes me laugh to be honest as i enjoy seeing the increasing threats based on nothing.

I will certainly not let them in my house to look either if they turn up. It's not my job to prove i don't have one it's theirs to prove i do. I don't want random people at my house, checking out what i have.

I read someone elses thoughts on it and they put 'it's a bit like the police turning up and saying lots of robberies have happened in the country so we just want to check you house for stolen goods. is that ok?'

I don't have a licence to keep Tigers either but i don't have threatening letters from the exotic animals dept of the government demanding that i tell them that i don't have one or they will take me to court.

I like the bit that says even if you tell them you don't have a licence 'we may confirm this with a visit'. So they don't believe me anyway so why should i tell them either way.

I've half a mind never to get a tv licence and just watch internet stuff. Most of the programs on the tv are rubbish or repeated a million times it seems.

All fun and games until i end up in jail :)

Guest chrispine

I haven't had a license for 13 years, I refuse to pay to watch the drivel, TV licensing have been round once and I've been at this address 7 years, I bought a 42" TV a few years ago as my son was coming to stay and had nothing to play his X Box on, I don't watch live TV, just DVD's and downloaded films, (TV connected as second monitor to Laptop), haven't had a letter for a while, but yes, they can be strongly worded especially as I've never watched live TV at this address therefore I don't need a license.

Chris

My cousin did not had tv so they come over..walk around to check and give them a date after 1yr they will come back to check again..he did not had tv he was just using laptop for movies..

Worst is that im paying but bbc get it and i never ever wach bbc..its rubish..

Been all through this with tv licensing. In legal terms, they're virtually powerless, hence the bully boy tactics.

For extra amusement, write to them and tell them that you're removing their right of implied access, this will mean if they make any visits to your property, they will be committing trespass and if they don't leave when asked, could be taken to court themselves.

The won't serve any kind of summons, no court would issue one without evidence. The majority of their prosecutions are as a result of doorstep confessions when people get a visit.

Many years ago we were hounded for many months because we had security cameras in our shop -- we ignored all their letters so eventually we were visited by men in grey macs to "test" that our monitors could not receive broadcast T.V. It was our "fault" that we had bought ordinary T.V's ( & removed aerial socket) instead of "proper" monitors which were built without receiver. ( They were much cheaper )

Didn't get rid of them until all their paper-work was complete-- which stated " Television equipment is not able to receive live broadcasts"

Edited by florin metal works

We used to get threatening letters before we were married. The license was in my name, and always used my other half's credit card to buy big stuff like TV's.

I always rang them and asked them to put both our names on the account but they couldn't, even when I told them they were wasting my license money sending threatening letters.

Nick

Guest 2b cruising

I believe only two bodies of people can enter your property without invite or warrants.

One is customs and excise. The next is TV licensing authority.

The police can only enter either in persuit of an escaping suspect, or with a live warrant.

I cannot comment on the removal of right to enter. I assume if you can get one of these, they must have the right in the first place.

Just not watching live broadcasts does not exempt you from license, the wording is, having equipment with the capability to receive live broadcast.

Bob did the correct thing by getting covering paperwork.

His story shows they can just walk in.

My parents also went through this many many years ago. Bless them.

might look into it for giggles. A bit of photoshopping and i'll send them a virtually identical form for them to fill in to apply for a licence to inspect my property :)

I don't have anything there at all capable of receiving TV so i am not worried in the slightest. The ariels that are there are in the attic so not even visible from outside (but they aren't connected to anything anyway).

Don't see why i should give them my details to say i don't have a TV, i don't want to be on their database.

I believe only two bodies of people can enter your property without invite or warrants.

One is customs and excise. The next is TV licensing authority.

no they can't, not without a warrant :) they might want to make you believe that but thats part of their tactics. Think i might refuse implied access to my property for a bit of a laugh. From the TV licencing website:

What law authorises enquiry officers to request access to my home? Can I refuse to let them in?

The Communications Act 2003 imposes an obligation on the BBC to issue TV Licences and collect the licence fee. The BBC must ensure that it fulfils its responsibility to the vast majority of households who pay their licence fee, by enforcing the law in respect of those who intentionally evade paying it. TV Licensing uses a range of activities to raise awareness about the requirement for a TV Licence, remind people to pay, inform them of ways to pay, and to deter people from evading the licence fee.

Enquiry officers do not have any legal powers to enter your home without a search warrant granted by a magistrate (or sheriff in Scotland). They (like other members of the public) rely on an implied right in common law to call at a property as far as the door, while going about their lawful business and making their presence known. Enquiry officers must explain to the occupier of the premises why they are visiting, be polite, courteous and fair, and abide by a strict code of conduct.

You have no obligation to grant entry to an enquiry officer if you don’t wish to do so. If refused entry by the occupier, the enquiry officer will leave the property. If enquiry officers are refused access, then TV Licensing reserve the right to use other methods of detection.

Enquiry officers may apply for authorisation to use detection equipment if they are refused entry on to premises. TV Licensing may also apply to a magistrate (or sheriff in Scotland) for a search warrant. However, this is only done as a last resort and when a senior manager and a legal adviser considers that there is good reason to believe that an offence has been committed.

I haven't had a license for 13 years, I refuse to pay to watch the drivel, TV licensing have been round once and I've been at this address 7 years, I bought a 42" TV a few years ago as my son was coming to stay and had nothing to play his X Box on, I don't watch live TV, just DVD's and downloaded films, (TV connected as second monitor to Laptop), haven't had a letter for a while, but yes, they can be strongly worded especially as I've never watched live TV at this address therefore I don't need a license.

Chris