Log Book!

Guest Darren2010

Guest Darren2010

If you were to get a car that has been registered "Spuriously"!! e.g it said Fiat two seater sports car on the log book and it's obviously a Robin Hood or something. How would you go about changing it?

Darren.

Guest alexpink

IVA test it so you know you aren't driving around in a badly built death trap. Then you'll get a proper age related / Q plate and the vehicle will be registered as what it actually is..

In practice for us, IVA is for amateur built vehicles built by us as a 'one off'. We are supposed to present evidence of the build in the form of photographs taken during the various build stages to satisfy the examiner that we did build the car. Also to show hidden parts of the construction that the examiner would like to see. We are also supposed to show source of donor parts, new parts and other second hand non donor parts to satisfy the examiners of their legitimate sources. A legitimate build can provide these. Even taking on a part build you would be wise to take on the previous builders folder of photos and receipts. You have to make a declaration that it is an amateur build and by who. You would be getting into rather muddy water trying to IVA and register a car you did not build yourself or which didn't have legitimate evidence of provenance.

Personally I would find it too difficult and stressful taking on a car with a dubious history and lack of legitimate receipts, that may even be an actual ringer (illegal) and presenting it for IVA. My advice would be walk away. Sorry but I'm stupidly honest.

Nigel

• Like 1

Nigel's right.

There are plenty of genuine Hoods & others out there

that you can insure,tax, MOT & drive very happily with no worries about being stopped.

The car could even end up being confiscated & scrapped with no compensation to you.

Just be patient.

I just posted that above to show what a minefield it is for any new buyer of a kit car, I agree it is probably a wrong one and is best avoided like the plague. Someone on Ebay is selling a Mk bare chassis with a V5 which is going to end up as a dodgy car that some poor unsuspecting person is going to buy. These cars are being sold without any checks why doesn't the DVLA pick up on these sort of things.

Further to my post above your question was what can be done with an incorrectly registered car. More specifically a kit car seven type. Log book and car don't match.

I remember several years ago an amnesty period where kit cars which had been on the road pre SVA but were still registered as the donor and on the donor reg were able to be updated if the evidence could be provided that they were genuinely pre SVA. I remember it as a fixed period amnesty with an expiry and if the update was not done then, there was no plan to make it possible to do it as a purely paper exercise in the future. Any car which didn't get its details in order during this period would have to go through SVA and subsequently IVA.

My memory may be faulty or the scheme might have been made a rolling one but I don't recall that. So IVA would be the only way. Does the car have a genuine vin or is it on the donor vin, first registration date and what does DVLA list the vehicle as being.

I still think walk away from trouble you don't need.

Nigel

• Like 2

Guest 2b cruising

One gets it registered correctly by spending heaps of dosh and even more time in labour.

Last visit to GBS they had quoted £5000 to put a ready built car through IVA And correct registration.

Walk away if not to late.

If it is cheap cheap cheap, buy it for parts if it in good order.

If you have really good engineering skills but cannot give it 100'/, of your time, it will still cost lots and possibly a year or two to register.

You can buy a really good correctly registered one for under £3000 if you watch the bay and be patient.

It's just the right time of the year to buy and not to sell so lots of bargains.

Don't pick Pinto unless highly tuned and proven engine from a renowned engine builder.

If poss go Zetec, prob around £3500 ish.

Few Vauxhall engined ones about but they are usually more expensive.

Lots of Tigers on last week around £3000.

Good luck.

Guest Darren2010

The car in question is built well and registered pre IVA/SVA it belonged to a friend of mine who passed away and it's been sat in the Garage for the last three years or so. He was a mechanic and I think he registered it to stay away from Q plate, I know some details, but it's a long & strange story. I was just wondering if there may have been a way to register it as what it is without having to go through SVA. And I imagine the insurance company's might be tricky.

Guest chris brown

Cars registered pre SVA were allowed to be correctly by DVLA between 2000 and 2004 after this any car that had not been correctly registered required a SVA or now a IVA.

Sound like the forms were not filled in correctly if at all with the local DVLA office (when we used to have them)

My S7 is pre SVA registered as a Robin Hood Engineering at the Guildford office. I even had the donor cars reg plates put back on it as you could keep them as

a Private plate option in them days.

As said the only way to get the V5 changed is to put the car in for IVA.

Don't pick Pinto unless highly tuned and proven engine from a renowned engine builder.

Bit of a sweeping statement there - I can't see a good reason why any car should be dismissed for having a standard Pinto in it. While it might not be the quickest thing around, it'll probably be reliable and will be easy to work on if it does go wrong.

• Like 2